Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WavingTheWheat.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Thread: Hypothetical...

Yes | No

Hypothetical...

Bill Self leaves to the NBA right now. Which coach do you think we get or do you want?

Yes | No
    No idea how feasible it'd be, but Sean Miller would be at the top by a country mile. Jank if it's important to have someone with a connection.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    It would be fun to troll KSU, okie lite, and Illinois all in one fell swoop and get Brad Underwood.

Sean Miller is probably my number one too, Haase is also worth a look if you want someone with a connection.

(21:01:09) ICThawk: z5 sweats swag and cums value

Administrator

Yes | No
    I am shocked z5 didn't say Scott Drew, because he thinks Drew is a good coach.
    Victoria Concordia Crescit

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    I am shocked z5 didn't say Scott Drew, because he thinks Drew is a good coach.

I don't know what to tell you if you don't think a guy who wins 60% of his games and consistently gets into the tourney is a bad coach.

Hawkaholic
    Twitter
    JayhawkLifer

Yes | No
    If he had a bit more experience, I would choose Aaron Miles. For someone who already has the experience, I guess Miller, but wish there were more sure fire choices out there. Could we really hit it out of the park again like we did with Self?
    My train of thought derailed. There were no survivors.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Honestly, the best guy out there at a non power school is Gregg Marshall and it would be hilarious to watch the collective fan bases melt down

Adm1n1str8t0r

Yes | No
    You'll take Bruce Weber and you'll like it

Yes | No
    John Calipari

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Administrator

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by The42Yardstick View Post
    He's locked into his contract until 2021, I don't think we should tamper with someone who is so clearly committed to the project in the Little Apple.
    Victoria Concordia Crescit

Double Secret M0derator
    Twitter
    TheNewCzar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyDisease View Post
    John Calipari

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    People can poke fun at him all they want but if we had hired or would ever hire him he'd a worshiped at KU just like Self is. He's a good coach and has a knack for keeping elite over hyped talent and their handlers/family in check.
    Last edited by dewarsrocks; 08-11-2017 at 10:30 AM. Reason: grammar naziing
    How many Lowes could Rob Lowe rob if Rob Lowe could rob Lowes?

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    Steve Kerr
    (01:48:08) samandbendriveme: alright....later guys....i gotta go let someone suckle my teet

http://www.wavingthewheat.com/misc/HiD.jpg

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by buntderby View Post
    Barack Obama

I would approve of this just to watch wave jump through hoops trying not to compliment him.
    Last edited by Jhawkz5; 08-11-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Yes | No
    Brad Stevens

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by The42Yardstick View Post

Made me laugh, green thumb.

It's also nice to post a thread and get more than a few comments back.

Snack Provider

Yes | No
    How many people would be clamoring for Danny Manning?

I like Danny, but I don't think he'd recruit very well for us?

Administrator

Yes | No
    I will take Brad Stevens

Yes | No
    - The first call that you make, as others have noted here, is to Brad Stevens. You make him say 'no' to the best (highest-dollar) contract ever offered to a college coach. But even with the best offer possible by a true blue blood, expect him to stay in the NBA; he's an NBA coach for life, and he'll never want for a job even if he ever leaves the Celtics.

- The next call you make is to Billy Donovan. What he did at Florida is nothing short of amazing. Then give him NBA clout with our resources, and he's the next surest thing behind Stevens.

- After those two, you go after the top of the college ranks:
    John Calipari: Some of you may scoff at this, but there is no doubt that he is one of the great college coaches. It's not whether or not we want him- it's whether or not he'd take the job, and my guess is that he wouldn't. He'll be at UK for as long as he remains a college coach.
    Sean Miller: Great recruiter, but with all that talent and situated in a nearby West bracket, he's still never made a FF. I think the jury is still out on just how good of a coach he is- but there is no questioning his recruiting... But much like Calipari, I don't think he leaves his current school. I could see him maybe leaving for UK down the road, but not for KU.
    Jay Wright: And here is where you start finding highly likely candidates. Jay Wright has always been a very mutable coach in that he changes up his offensive scheme for a season or a game just like he changes up his defensive scheme- sometimes to match his personnel, sometimes to create a mismatch with his opponent (and he's done it several time to perfection against Bill Self). You give him KU's resources with his expanding resume, and you'd have a winner that would be very dangerous in March. He is a Philly guy through-and-through, but his kids have grown up and moved out the house and we would represent his shot at a Blue Blood. KU could also offer him more money per year than the net worth of Nova's Athletic Department.
    Tony Bennett: I know his style of play is downright appalling (especially last season), but let's not forget that Bill came here playing that 'first-to-50-wins' ugly B1G style of ball. Bill changed, and so too would Bennett- especially with the level of recruit he could get at KU. He has proven himself to be an elite in-conference coach with what he's done in the ACC with vastly inferior talent. He's also proven to be a developer of talent with getting 3-star, 4-year players into the NBA. Take his defense and improve his offense with a higher quality of talent that we could get at KU, and we'd be a hell of team (especially in conference play).

- What worries me is if Zenger is the one making the next hire. He'll either swing for the fences with some odd hire like Isaiah Thomas; or he'd go with a simple single like Mark Turgeon or Danny Manning. To get one of the names above, we need more than just being KU, we need somebody that can sell somebody on leaving a great situation to follow in the footsteps of Bill Self. It's not an easy sale, and Zenger isn't exactly Alec Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross...
    "I know who I am! I'm a dude playin' a dude disguised as another dude"