Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WavingTheWheat.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Waterboy

Yes | No

Blue Apron Thread

So I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Apron. Any a yous already do this? Seems wicked convenient, not having to hit the Chopper or Hen House on the way home from work. Mildly expensive...yes. But I've never heard anyone complain about the food.

Wheat Sez Whuh? (Don't feel comfortable with "what sayeth" nomenclature here. It's their house, their customs, their ways.)

(moments after this photo was taken, these two totally lezzed out on the couch.)

Waterboy

Yes | No
    Not this sort of blue apron...

Yes | No
    Don't have any experience with Blue Apron but tried Hello Fresh. It is over priced and crap.
    "No tears please. It's a waste of good suffering."

Yes | No
    Oh. Wife's cousin has tried both and says Blue Apron is much better. Price wise and quality. That's all I got.
    "No tears please. It's a waste of good suffering."

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    We use it once or twice a month and like it most of the time.
    (01:48:08) samandbendriveme: alright....later guys....i gotta go let someone suckle my teet

http://www.wavingthewheat.com/misc/HiD.jpg

Yes | No
    We have done Hello Fresh and Blue Apron. Hello Fresh was not good. Only did two meals, but both were low quality and taste. We have been doing Blue Apron 2 to 4 times a week for about 8 months. We love about 70% of their meals. The other 30% are good, but not great. I tell people, if you are open to try new things and not picky, you'll like it. The prep takes about 20 minutes, and the cooking about another 30. Great quality, fresh ingredients. My daughter (14) likes it, but she loves veggies and isn't picky. She also has gotten really good at cooking the meals herself.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    I'm just waiting for Jeff Bezos to roll out Amazon's version of this so that he can just take all my money.

(21:01:09) ICThawk: z5 sweats swag and cums value

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokken View Post
    So I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Apron. Any a yous already do this? Seems wicked convenient, not having to hit the Chopper or Hen House on the way home from work. Mildly expensive...yes. But I've never heard anyone complain about the food.

Wheat Sez Whuh? (Don't feel comfortable with "what sayeth" nomenclature here. It's their house, their customs, their ways.)

(moments after this photo was taken, these two totally lezzed out on the couch.)
    Do you have the photos of them lezzing out?

Waterboy

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Lurch22 View Post
    Do you have the photos of them lezzing out?
    I was too busy to take photos. My bad. Next time, for sure.

Yes | No
    Just buy an Instant Pot IMO.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by NoPantsChico View Post
    Just buy an Instant Pot IMO.

God I love mine. It makes life so much easier.

Yes | No
    I've done Blue Apron quite a bit and it's good. I prefer Plated due to the variety, but Blue Apron definitely has the better price. The 2 are comparable in regards to the quality of the ingredients.

unwashed mass

Yes | No

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ephemeral View Post

Just noticed the shape of that mylar bag she's holding open.

Administrator

Yes | No
    That was the first thing I noticed....like sleeve of wizard

I had some friends in my building that did Blue Apron and I cooked with them on occasion...food was always good and easy enough to prepare...I think it's something like $60/week for three meals for two people...which is a bit much, but for the convenience, it seemed pretty good

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Honestly, you're far better off getting those frozen bags of steamer veggies and popping them into the microwave for 4 minutes and just throwing a chicken breast in the oven. Look up how to make some random "fancy" sauce and boom, you're done.

Waterboy

Yes | No
    I did Sunbasket and really like it--high quality and excellent customer service. I have an Instant Pot, which is a total game changer.

Administrator

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
    Honestly, you're far better off getting those frozen bags of steamer veggies and popping them into the microwave for 4 minutes and just throwing a chicken breast in the oven. Look up how to make some random "fancy" sauce and boom, you're done.
    Meh, I think the appeal of blue apron is the variety without the hassle...no one wants to eat steamed vegetables and chicken every night

And yes, we know, there are sites you can find online where you get meal ideas....but blue apron takes the shopping and the research and the hassle out of all of that, which you are paying for

it's worth it to some people and it's not worth it to others

I never bit the bullet but I certainly don't blame the people that do

Point Forward

Yes | No
    I did the Blue Apron free trial and cancelled before the next batch came. The food was decent, although portions were a bit small for my taste. The Korean pork tacos were my favorite of the meals I tried. It's also a ridiculous amount of packaging for a relatively small amount of food. Considering the price, I'd rather just get my own ingredients at the store.

Yes | No
    Lol!! Only if "far better off" means far cheaper. That like comparing a good steak to a McDonalds hamburger. You either have never had Blue Apron or have no appreciation for fresh food cooked right. It's not the most cost effective way to prepare meals, but it's a good substitute for eating out. Although I'm sure the two women in the photo cooked Blue Apron and still went eating out.

Adm1n1str8t0r

Yes | No
    Please subscribe to my podcast

Yes | No
    We do Hello Fresh and have actually seen a reduced food budget because of it. I've found it to be pretty good food though we have got a couple duds. Might have to try Blue Apron based on everyone saying it's better than HF.

Waterboy

Yes | No
    I think the beauty of these boxes, which ever you choose, is the fact that no food is wasted. You have the exact ingredients for a recipe--that's where I think the savings lie.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Lol!! Only if "far better off" means far cheaper. That like comparing a good steak to a McDonalds hamburger. You either have never had Blue Apron or have no appreciation for fresh food cooked right. It's not the most cost effective way to prepare meals, but it's a good substitute for eating out. Although I'm sure the two women in the photo cooked Blue Apron and still went eating out.
    I mean if you want to go all out and buy the veggies and steam them/roast them yourself then that's fine. It's what I usually do. But the point of these services is convenience, hence the frozen veggies.

You're telling me that the veggies I pick up from the farmer's market are far lower quality than what's getting shipped to my house by a company?

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Hokken View Post

Yes | No
    I mean if you want to go all out and buy the veggies and steam them/roast them yourself then that's fine. It's what I usually do. But the point of these services is convenience, hence the frozen veggies.

You're telling me that the veggies I pick up from the farmer's market are far lower quality than what's getting shipped to my house by a company?
    You're changing your story. I was addressing your first post where you said you're better off throwing a bag of frozen veggies in the microwave. Now you are talking Farmer's market.

Electric

Yes | No
    saw this on Twitter Trends

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Waterboy

Yes | No
    Whoa, that sucks.

Electric

Yes | No
    Sounds like they are closing a facility in NJ and moving jobs to bigger facility.

Yes | No
    They could probably save some scratch by not sponsoring every single podcast in the known universe.

Magic Grue Trainer/Author

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ephemeral View Post

1, Bob Saget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapadatass
    It's pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    They could probably save some scratch by not sponsoring every single podcast in the known universe.

I often wonder how much they pay for that stuff.

Same with Casper, and MeUndies, and Movement Watches.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
    1, Bob Saget

Sent from my iPhone using Tapadatass

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningstarshiptroopers View Post
    I did the Blue Apron free trial and cancelled before the next batch came. The food was decent, although portions were a bit small for my taste. The Korean pork tacos were my favorite of the meals I tried. It's also a ridiculous amount of packaging for a relatively small amount of food. Considering the price, I'd rather just get my own ingredients at the store.
    This is the same reason I hate Cracker Barrel. The portions are just too small. Excuse me, but this is America, Cracker Barrel!!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Soft

Yes | No
    I don't get it. So, you go to the Blue Apron restaurant and they give you the ingredients, you take it home and cook it yourself? Why would anyone do that?

Yes | No
    Opposite. Every single one of those spots running regularly is making them money. That's the whole point of direct response marketing with promo codes.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

Yes | No
    I think our friends were merely making an observation about the comical level of podcast sponsorship they do.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Protist View Post
    I don't get it. So, you go to the Blue Apron restaurant and they give you the ingredients, you take it home and cook it yourself? Why would anyone do that?
    How is what you described different than a grocery store. Other than you don't get it delivered to you in premeasured amounts with a recipe to use all the ingredients.

Yes | No
    How is what you described different than a grocery store. Other than you don't get it delivered to you in premeasured amounts with a recipe to use all the ingredients.
    That's pretty much it. Apparently the market has decided that it's willing to pay a premium to not go to the grocery store or buy things in greater quantity than what's needed for a recipe they may or may not like.

Yes | No
    I think he was referencing the long-running Phog/Papa Murphy's jokes, but I'm not sure.