Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WavingTheWheat.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Administrator

Yes | No

House Hunting in KC

Accepted an offer at full asking on my Tulsa condo this morning and officially will be looking for a new place in the KC area

I'd like to live prairie village, but on my budget I'll probably be in the Olathe area...For those that have been up here awhile, any recommendations? I'm thinking probably townhouse or small house, ~$120-$150k. I'll likely have ~$20-25k to put down

I'm not rich, so, reasonable recommendations only plz

Electric

Yes | No
    What part of town will you be working in? You single?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No

(obligatory)
    Grammar Police: To Correct and Serve -- Every time you misspell a word, the errorists win.

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No
    Seriously, though, a quick look at Zillow shows a handful of places available in that price range that aren't TOO Far from Prairie Village.

There is a Town hose in Overland Park, not too far from Oak Park Mall: 3BR, 3Ba, Single car garage for $120k at 11007 W 90th Terrace. (See Zillow for more details). A handful of others, as well.
    Grammar Police: To Correct and Serve -- Every time you misspell a word, the errorists win.

Point Forward

Yes | No
    What's the market like in KC compared to other similarly sized markets? I haven't lived in the area for about a decade and haven't really kept up with how the real estate market has done.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningstarshiptroopers View Post
    What's the market like in KC compared to other similarly sized markets? I haven't lived in the area for about a decade and haven't really kept up with how the real estate market has done.
    I don't know how it stacks up with other markets, but it's been pretty nutty in KC the last couple years, at least for people in couples/family situations.

Administrator

Yes | No
    Single, work downtown, would love to live downtown, but don't want to rent....purchasing downtown isn't an option unfortunately

I'm resigned to the fact that I'll be commuting probably

Magic Grue Trainer/Author

Yes | No
    I'm pretty sure you could find something affordable to buy in the area around 11th and Minnesota in KCK.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...75722726_zpid/

Short commute to boot. You're welcome.
    It's pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Yes | No
    I worked downtown and lived in Westheight in KCK for 6 years. Quick little ten minute commute and cool, big houses under $200k. Only really makes sense if you're single given the schools though.
    Last edited by KSTHANE; 07-31-2017 at 10:22 PM.

Electric

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by KSTHANE View Post
    I worked downtown and lived in Westheight in KCK for 6 years. Quick little ten minute commute and cool, big houses under $200k. Only really makes sense if you're single given the schools though.
    Great option. Love KCK. Close to a lot of great stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Participant

Yes | No
    Shawnee is affordable, good schools, close to most convenient places
    Not a frequent poster

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Get somewhere with a pool and throw a big wtw party.

(21:01:09) ICThawk: z5 sweats swag and cums value

Yes | No
    No kids right? I would look in south waldo on the missouri side. Buy a starter home there. Value holds fairly well. Work your ass off build equity in your waldo house. Sell it in 3-5 years.

Get your nut up to about 65k and buy a house in PV.

For that cash on the kansas side you are not going to be happy with your neighborhood.

Yes | No
    http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...-27287#photo12

Example of waldo house in your range. Good starter.

5 minutes to brookside. 10 minutes to plaza. Easy access to 435 on wornall.

Its not terribly sexy but would be a good starter.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...9-21035#photo0

Another good one.

Yes | No
    I would stay away from olathe, shawnee, lenexa etc.

But that is just me.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetheWheat View Post
    I would stay away from olathe, shawnee, lenexa etc.

But that is just me.
    I don't own, but I look at the market from time to time... Seems like if all you have to put down is $20-25K you might as well put it on a decent Plaza/Midtown condo instead of a starter house in Waldo (unless you want to fix it up) or a slightly nicer place out west.

http://www.highrises.com/kansas-city...oulevard-1009/

Double Secret M0derator
    Twitter
    TheNewCzar
    How many Lowes could Rob Lowe rob if Rob Lowe could rob Lowes?

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by NoPantsChico View Post
    I don't own, but I look at the market from time to time... Seems like if all you have to put down is $20-25K you might as well put it on a decent Plaza/Midtown condo instead of a starter house in Waldo (unless you want to fix it up) or a slightly nicer place out west.

http://www.highrises.com/kansas-city...oulevard-1009/
    Would be fun and certainly an option. 10-15 years ago...every one of my friends who invested in downtown/plaza condos took a bath or broke even. To a man everyone who bought starter home made money.

Something about land and a house (at least in Kansas City) will always make more money.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetheWheat View Post
    Would be fun and certainly an option. 10-15 years ago...every one of my friends who invested in downtown/plaza condos took a bath or broke even. To a man everyone who bought starter home made money.

Something about land and a house (at least in Kansas City) will always make more money.
    I think that's the case more or less everywhere. I'm thinking more strictly in terms of utility/lifestyle fit, and factoring in that the area in general is much more of a seller's market ATM.

Yes | No
    Look at Mission. Options in your price range and they're putting a lot of work into making it a nice community (Gateway aside). Peanut just opened a location and The Bar is a great new place. 5 minutes to the Plaza and a cheap Uber to/from downtown.

Administrator

Yes | No
    some good advice/options in this thread, much appreciated...as to avoid two mortgages, I've been staying at my parents....I'm thinking about putting up with that stigma for a while longer and saving major $$$ for a bit

make fun of me all you want, it's probably worth it to pocket around $1k/month