Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WavingTheWheat.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

High Class Wheater

Yes | No

Running/Fitness/Weight Loss Thread

Not sure if anyone's interested but what do y'all do for fitness? Or do you have any goals for fitness and weight loss? I was weighing about 220 after drinking beer every evening and not wanting to do anything after being super stressed in grad school so I finally set some reasonable running goals and have lost about 40 lbs since December 2015. Started running in April 2016 using a couch to 5K app, suffered some injury setbacks but have been holding steady for at least the last 7-8 months running about 4 times a week and am looking to going up to 5 a week soonish. I want to run my first half marathon in December when it doesn't feel like running on the surface of the sun in Texas.
    (01:48:08) samandbendriveme: alright....later guys....i gotta go let someone suckle my teet

http://www.wavingthewheat.com/misc/HiD.jpg

Yes | No
    I basically just walk a few miles a day and keep a watch on what I eat, and how much. It seems to keep things in check. Running is not much of an option any more.

Yes | No
    I would also like to hear about people's general fitness regimen. Since my wife had our first kid years back I've steadily put on some pounds and would like to lose about 20 lbs or so to get back to my college weight. I've never really enjoyed running and I feel like my ankles have a hard time dealing with the strain of running.

Our family just did sign up for a membership at the new Lenexa Rec center so I am curious what everyone thinks is a good weight loss program that doesn't involve too much running if possible.

LawrenceRaider

Yes | No
    My hefty self got up to nearly 240 last January. Tipped in at 227 today. I'm a reasonably big guy so 215 is about the bottom of where I can get and still feel good. Seven years ago I got up to 257 after moving down to Texas and doing too much eating/drinking/lifting heavy. Changed my workout routine (included running 3 times a week for the first time since college) and cut back on food and beer and dropped down to 207 over the course of a year or so. Didn't really like that weight for me, face looked hollow.

I do superset push pull workouts with weights. I keep it to a horizontal day, like bench press (inclines, dips etc) each superset with rows (over hand, neutral, underhand). Then a vertical day where I do over/neutral/under hand pull ups superset with shoulder work (seated shoulder press, Arnolds, shrugs, upright rows). Then a legs day, squats, deadlifts, front squats, dumbbell deadlifts, calf raises.

I always add 4-6 sets of biceps/triceps work on the end of the upper body workouts and abs at the end of every workout.

If I really need to cut weight fast, I'll do quad sets loaded on the same body part.

One thing I found that has worked out really well for me is eating more at lunch, and much less at dinner. Also eat more on lift days, and less on rest days.

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No
    I eat whatever I want and imagine that it's really, really healthy for me. Then I let the placebo effect do its thing.
    Grammar Police: To Correct and Serve -- Every time you misspell a word, the errorists win.

Magic Grue Trainer/Author

Yes | No
    IMG_6644.jpg

Here's my little corner of Zen in my garage. I do a combo of pure strength training followed by HIIT on lifting days. My cardio is usually mountain biking or hiking, and I'm off and on with Masters swimming (I'm currently in an off phase). I also surf semi-regularly, but not nearly as often as I'd like to. As far as eating goes, I do a combo of Intermittent Fasting (4-6 hour eating window each day) and I have virtually eliminated sugar from my regular diet other than a very occasional scoop of ice-cream. No juice, no soda, no sweeteners of any kind (natural or artificial), no bread, no pasta - nothing. I do splurge occasionally on Mexican food, but my digestive tract always ends up regretting it. Ive always been religious about working out, but my dietary discipline goes in phases - I started my current hard-core phase back in March and have been happy with the results.
    It's pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    I just think pasta and bread are natural foods for the body so I don't care about not eating them. I also drink plenty of beer each week I just cut my consumption at least in half or more from what I was drinking. A healthy weight for me is about where I'm at now or maybe 10 lbs lighter. I was something like 155 in the Marines but I was super skinny and couldn't gain weight. I'd love to get back in sub-18 minute 5Ks though. What do you guys recommend for some upper body workouts. I don't really care too much about lifting weights just something natural I can do 3 times a week.
    (01:48:08) samandbendriveme: alright....later guys....i gotta go let someone suckle my teet

Point Forward

Yes | No
    I do a high fat, low carb diet diet that is mostly Paleo/primal. I'm usually pretty consistent with it.

For exercise, I hike for about an hour most mornings and do some resistance training once or twice a week.

I was up to 215 at one point before changing my diet. Sitting pretty steady around 190 these days, which is about right for me.

Yes | No
    I lost about 45 lbs. from my peak a few years ago. Started going to the gym 4-5 times a week, cut out all the soda and processed carbs that I could and limited booze to 2-3 drinks a week, but didn't go full paleo or anything. Once those habits rounded into form it was pretty easy. I'm around 175 these days.

Yes | No
    I drink green tea every day and don't eat anything after dinner.

Yes | No
    I'm a runner and a Lawrence townie; usually log 34 to 36 miles per week, long runs on Sunday. I'm getting older (43), so I also have to watch what I eat (low carb).

Lots of good races in the area (although not this time of year). I've run a couple marathons but half-marathon is really my distance of choice, I guess (will be running the Kansas Half here in Lawrence in November, will be my fourth time to run this particular race). I enjoy running with the local groups from time to time.

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by OnePoundSterling View Post
    I'm a runner and a Lawrence townie; usually log 34 to 36 miles per week, long runs on Sunday. I'm getting older (43), so I also have to watch what I eat (low carb).

Lots of good races in the area (although not this time of year). I've run a couple marathons but half-marathon is really my distance of choice, I guess (will be running the Kansas Half here in Lawrence in November, will be my fourth time to run this particular race). I enjoy running with the local groups from time to time.
    I've been running like 20 a week or so trying to eventually move up but the heat is brutal in Texas. I run shorter runs with my dog and run a longer run once a week. Austin has a distance challenge you can sign up for starting with an 8K and 10 miler and progressing to two halfs and a full. I might try it and opt for a half at the end instead of a full since I want the Marine Corps Marathon a year from October to be my first one.

Yes | No
    Sugar...in all its forms (except from eating raw fruit as the video explains) is the freakin' devil. This video isn't short, and it has a good bit of bio-chem in the middle (though still easily understood by the layperson), but it is definitely worth a watch if you are truly interested in your long-term health. So, from the UCSF Med School...

Double Secret M0derator
    Twitter
    TheNewCzar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
    IMG_6644.jpg

Here's my little corner of Zen in my garage. I do a combo of pure strength training followed by HIIT on lifting days. My cardio is usually mountain biking or hiking, and I'm off and on with Masters swimming (I'm currently in an off phase). I also surf semi-regularly, but not nearly as often as I'd like to. As far as eating goes, I do a combo of Intermittent Fasting (4-6 hour eating window each day) and I have virtually eliminated sugar from my regular diet other than a very occasional scoop of ice-cream. No juice, no soda, no sweeteners of any kind (natural or artificial), no bread, no pasta - nothing. I do splurge occasionally on Mexican food, but my digestive tract always ends up regretting it. Ive always been religious about working out, but my dietary discipline goes in phases - I started my current hard-core phase back in March and have been happy with the results.
    When I saw those rings my mind went to, "looks like your little corner of zen doubles as a sex room"
    How many Lowes could Rob Lowe rob if Rob Lowe could rob Lowes?

Point Forward

Yes | No
    Sugar...in all its forms (except from eating raw fruit as the video explains) is the freakin' devil. This video isn't short, and it has a good bit of bio-chem in the middle (though still easily understood by the layperson), but it is definitely worth a watch if you are truly interested in your long-term health. So, from the UCSF Med School...

I watched a few minutes, but I don't have an hour and a half to take that all in. Can you tl;dr his conclusions?

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningstarshiptroopers View Post
    I watched a few minutes, but I don't have an hour and a half to take that all in. Can you tl;dr his conclusions?
    Sure. Basically, any form of sugar (sucrose, HFCS, etc.) from any source (natural or artificial), in any form, is biochemically treated like a toxin by the liver. It causes a shit-ton of problem, both immediate and long term, and is by far the leading problem in the obesity epidemic and all the long-term health problems related to it. It goes way deeper than just empty calories and insulin spiking - it affects humans in a very negative way at the hormonal and cellular level. It is quite literally the dietary devil.

The notable exception is fresh fruit, that for several reasons - mostly related to the natural fiber in fruit, is not nearly as damaging the the system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapadatass

Administrator

Yes | No
    I spent the summer in CO and was doing a lot of intense mountain hiking. I'm trying to figure out what to do when I get back to Lawrence this week, think I might try riding my bike a bit further distances. Hoping that having been at altitude for a few months will help me get through the tough stages of riding the Lawrence hills without killing me.

I wish there were better hiking nearby, really enjoyed it this summer.
    Victoria Concordia Crescit

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    I spent the summer in CO and was doing a lot of intense mountain hiking. I'm trying to figure out what to do when I get back to Lawrence this week, think I might try riding my bike a bit further distances. Hoping that having been at altitude for a few months will help me get through the tough stages of riding the Lawrence hills without killing me.

I wish there were better hiking nearby, really enjoyed it this summer.
    Is that mountain biking trail on the north side of the river still there? That was a super-fun 8 mile (IIRC) loop with some nifty obstacles. Not bad mountain biking for the flatlands. A couple of times around for time was a decent workout.

Administrator

Yes | No
    Is that mountain biking trail on the north side of the river still there? That was a super-fun 8 mile (IIRC) loop with some nifty obstacles. Not bad mountain biking for the flatlands. A couple of times around for time was a decent workout.

I'm not sure, I'll have to check it out. Gracias, amigo.
    Victoria Concordia Crescit

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Gooner View Post
    I'm not sure, I'll have to check it out. Gracias, amigo.
    http://www.lawrencemountainbikeclub....-river-trails/

Looks like it's still there. I used to volunteer helping to maintain it back in the day. Never belonged to the club - I'm not really the joiner type. But they advertised maintenance days on the info board at the trailhead, so I helped out when I could. I probably rode that trail 4 or 5 times a week when I lived in LFK. Good group of folks.

Point Forward

Yes | No
    Sure. Basically, any form of sugar (sucrose, HFCS, etc.) from any source (natural or artificial), in any form, is biochemically treated like a toxin by the liver. It causes a shit-ton of problem, both immediate and long term, and is by far the leading problem in the obesity epidemic and all the long-term health problems related to it. It goes way deeper than just empty calories and insulin spiking - it affects humans in a very negative way at the hormonal and cellular level. It is quite literally the dietary devil.

The notable exception is fresh fruit, that for several reasons - mostly related to the natural fiber in fruit, is not nearly as damaging the the system.

Interesting. I've heard similar cases made against sugar on some health blogs I read. It's remarkable how much added sugar is in many processed foods once you start looking for it. I've drastically cut my sugar consumption and can't even handle how sweet a lot of sugary snacks are now when I allow myself a treat.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    I try to go jogging at least 3-4x a week, on days I don't, I do my best to at least get out and walk - even if it's just half a mile or so. Having the roommates dog around helps for that.

One thing I've been meaning to start to incorporate into the routine is doing yoga once a week. I'm super inflexible so it would help with that and in theory would help stave off injury.

(21:01:09) ICThawk: z5 sweats swag and cums value

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Morningstarshiptroopers View Post
    Interesting. I've heard similar cases made against sugar on some health blogs I read. It's remarkable how much added sugar is in many processed foods once you start looking for it. I've drastically cut my sugar consumption and can't even handle how sweet a lot of sugary snacks are now when I allow myself a treat.
    Preach, brother! Once I kicked the sugar, things I once thought were semi-sweet now make me nauseous.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
    I try to go jogging at least 3-4x a week, on days I don't, I do my best to at least get out and walk - even if it's just half a mile or so. Having the roommates dog around helps for that.

One thing I've been meaning to start to incorporate into the routine is doing yoga once a week. I'm super inflexible so it would help with that and in theory would help stave off injury.
    Yoga does wonders. The other thing I do is swim and do the stretching in the pool; safe and effective.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteJak View Post
    Yoga does wonders. The other thing I do is swim and do the stretching in the pool; safe and effective.

Yeah I would like to start swimming laps but I'm too cheap to pay for a gym. Work has a small workout room with some free weights if I want that and I prefer to run outside and get all that vitamin D up in my system.

Waterboy

Yes | No
    I peaked at 253 back in May. Unacceptable. So I did some intermittent fasting in June and lost 10lbs in a week. Walking around NYC also helped that loss too. My fasting consisted of skipping breakfast, that's it. So then I have a physical 2 weeks ago and Dr tells me that unless I lose more weight I'm approaching pre-diabeetus due to hereditary issues. Sooooooooooooooo, I'm now committing to the following in an attempt to get down to either 220 and eventually low 200s.

No processed foods, soft drinks or other sugar-laden junk
    Minimal carbs, 20g or less each day
    Eating more fish and or taking fish oil daily. High protein, high green leafies and high fiber.
    Taking a men's multivitamin
    Exercising for at least 30 min daily. Includes circuit training, cardio and going for lean muscle over bulk.
    Minimal sugar intake each day as well. Fresh fruit is core of sugar intake.
    Biking on weekends or after work when open. I aim for 10 miles per ride but easily did 26 miles up in MN on Heartland Trail one morning. I invested in a Felt F65x last year and freaking love it.
    Drinking more water

Yes | No
    I blossomed up to 211 last year and started bicycling hard. I'm now a pretty steady 165 and eat everything. I bicycle hard at least for me. My total miles in July MTD (one day left) is 1044 miles at 19.2 mph average for those miles. I'm pretty proud of that average. Typically 700 to 800 miles per month. Typically a group ride on Saturday mornings of 100 plus at 20 to 20.8 average. Tuesdays and Thursdays if in town do 30 mile fitness ride with a group 21 to 24 mph depending on who all is attending. Monday, Wednesday, and Sundays that I don't play golf I'll do 30 to 80 miles solo at slower pace. I travel for work a lot so if I fly I'm out of luck, but if I drive I bring my bike and hook up with local fast groups.

Pretty sure if I bicycled easy that I would not have lost weight or be keeping it off. I can no longer run, but enjoy the hell out of cycling.

IMG_1291.jpg

Soft

Yes | No
    You guys are gonna live forever!

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    As far as dieting - back in the day I wanted to lose 10ish pounds and I cut out starches. Not carbs completely (I had to have beer) but cutting out most breads and potatoes and the pounds just fell off.

My brother did the Keto diet in the past and lost 100 lbs on it, that shit works. He supplemented it with half marathon training as well, which definitely helped but the majority of the weight loss was from the diet.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DeutschHistorian View Post
    I've been running like 20 a week or so trying to eventually move up but the heat is brutal in Texas. I run shorter runs with my dog and run a longer run once a week. Austin has a distance challenge you can sign up for starting with an 8K and 10 miler and progressing to two halfs and a full. I might try it and opt for a half at the end instead of a full since I want the Marine Corps Marathon a year from October to be my first one.
    Marine Corp is a very popular marathon -- good luck. The marathons I've run have been in the spring . . . I can't imagine trying to train here (or especially in Texas) in the summer for a fall marathon. Running a 20 miler in heat is my idea of hell. I've been to Austin in late September the last couple of years, and it is still a hot time of year to run down there. I ran on the Butler path -- tons of people running there in the mornings.

Yes | No
    Preach, brother! Once I kicked the sugar, things I once thought were semi-sweet now make me nauseous.

I know a few cities have adopted soda taxes, but it really is crazy how much less of a stigma there is around sweets than fatty foods in America.

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by NoPantsChico View Post
    I know a few cities have adopted soda taxes, but it really is crazy how much less of a stigma there is around sweets than fatty foods in America.
    Americans get so angry when they get to Europe and the soda size is the actual serving size they're supposed to drink and no refills are usually allowed.

Yes | No
    Americans get so angry when they get to Europe and the soda size is the actual serving size they're supposed to drink and no refills are usually allowed.
    Addicts generally don't like their fix taken away.

Waterboy

Yes | No

The German diet of bier, wurst, real pretzels, anything from a pig...if an American ate/drank that way they'd be dead in months. The Germans have a fond habit of getting off their asses and walking around. 64 oz soft drinks are nearly impossible to find over there. They're way smarter about health than we will ever be. I never put beer drinking and long distance biking together until I lived there. I don't recommend it but it was better than video games or watching TV.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Soda is just crazy to drink, to me. Ignoring all the sugar and shit added into it, it's like 200 calories in a 20oz bottle. If you drink just one bottle a day, every day of the week that's basically an extra pound you're adding on every other week.

Just drink lemon water, stupid Americans.

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
    Soda is just crazy to drink, to me. Ignoring all the sugar and shit added into it, it's like 200 calories in a 20oz bottle. If you drink just one bottle a day, every day of the week that's basically an extra pound you're adding on every other week.

Just drink lemon water, stupid Americans.
    As an undergrad I worked at Zarco off of K10 and some people refilled their 64 oz mug several times a day. Unreal amount of shit they put into their bodies.