Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WavingTheWheat.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Soup R'Crackers SouperFan

Yes | No

Jayhawks No Longer on 610

610 Sports will no longer be the home of the Jayhawks. I didn't realize that KU athletics had been on 610 for 18 years. I wonder if this means a move to 810 will be announced in the near future.

http://www.610sports.com/articles/ku...0-sports-radio

Administrator

Yes | No
    i'm new to KC are since college 8 years ago and I don't listen to sports radio...is KK on 810 or 610, I'm thinking he's on 810

would be hilarious if he was pressured to sunshine pump the hawks, but I don't think that would ever happen

Double Secret M0derator
    Twitter
    TheNewCzar

Yes | No
    Move to 810? What would their buzz line be, "810, home of the Jayhawks...dammit".
    How many Lowes could Rob Lowe rob if Rob Lowe could rob Lowes?

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Norris View Post
    i'm new to KC are since college 8 years ago and I don't listen to sports radio...is KK on 810 or 610, I'm thinking he's on 810

would be hilarious if he was pressured to sunshine pump the hawks, but I don't think that would ever happen
    He's on 810. I'm sure he'll handle it like an adult if/when KU bumps K-State off of the station.

Yes | No
    Whoa, now that is some breaking news. Could we hope for 810? It would indeed be hilarious.

Yes | No
    I look forward to getting more HCDB & HCBS interviews on 810 though, rather than with Fescoe or whoever at 610.

I used to listen to Danny Parkins and Carrington. After Parkins left, 610 is completely unlistenable. Their midday show is the worst radio show in town. Sports or otherwise. And while I like Carrington, Brad Fanning is a moron. Would enjoy never having to listen to him again. And Fescoe goes without saying.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    I look forward to getting more HCDB & HCBS interviews on 810 though, rather than with Fescoe or whoever at 610.

I used to listen to Danny Parkins and Carrington. After Parkins left, 610 is completely unlistenable. Their midday show is the worst radio show in town. Sports or otherwise. And while I like Carrington, Brad Fanning is a moron. Would enjoy never having to listen to him again. And Fescoe goes without saying.
    Same. Podcasts and Spotify/Pandora are 90% of what I listen to in the car these days, with Royals games being the other 10%.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No

Fanning is so fucking awful. "SOLER SUCKSSSSSS. Of course he's mashing at AAA. I watched him do the same thing to minor leaguers in Spring Training."

Fanning at start of season - "Look we just need to keep giving Mondesi chances, we watched him tear it up in Spring Training. I think that warrants getting him at least another few weeks"

(21:01:09) ICThawk: z5 sweats swag and cums value

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
    Fanning is so fucking awful. "SOLER SUCKSSSSSS. Of course he's mashing at AAA. I watched him do the same thing to minor leaguers in Spring Training."

Fanning at start of season - "Look we just need to keep giving Mondesi chances, we watched him tear it up in Spring Training. I think that warrants getting him at least another few weeks"
    It always blew my mind when the midday show brought him on for his weekly guest hour, like he was some expert or something. Those two hosts suck, throw Fanning in the mix and it was just a perfect storm of stupidity. And it was still better than giving him his own show.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    It always blew my mind when the midday show brought him on for his weekly guest hour, like he was some expert or something. Those two hosts suck, throw Fanning in the mix and it was just a perfect storm of stupidity. And it was still better than giving him his own show.
    I know that Heis is the producer and not an actual host. But I much would have rather had them do Carrington and Heis and bring in someone else to produce the show.

(21:01:09) ICThawk: z5 sweats swag and cums value

Yes | No

Are those the guys that always ended up talking over each other? I used to listen occasionally but had to turn it of so many times because it became unintelligible (and banal) that now I don't listen much any more.

Yes | No
    Sounds like KU told Entercom that they don't want their football games to get bumped for Royals coverage and Entercom told them GFY.

Link to story

Yes | No
    810 also forced to dump cats.

Double Secret M0derator
    Twitter
    TheNewCzar

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by NoPantsChico View Post
    Sounds like KU told Entercom that they don't want their football games to get bumped for Royals coverage and Entercom told them GFY.

Link to story
    That story didn't mention 810. Do we know if it is 810 that picked up KU? If so that'd be some 9D chess against the hooker killer, especially if they were forced to drop KSU. Oh the sweet irony.
    How many Lowes could Rob Lowe rob if Rob Lowe could rob Lowes?

Yes | No
    I don't know where KU's broadcasts will go. 810 can't possibly do both KU and KSU, I wouldn't think. And I can't see Douchebag getting off his knees for KSU. This will be interesting.

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    Isn't KK a partial owner of 810? No way he's taking KU if that means he has to be nice about them.

Take 580 out of Topeka as a flagship and KU should have no problem finding a random affiliate station in KC.

Yes | No
    Yes, I do believe KK does have an ownership stake in 810, which is why I agree with you that 810 won't be in the running for KU. KK is all about some KSU.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by All4KU View Post
    Yes, I do believe KK does have an ownership stake in 810, which is why I agree with you that 810 won't be in the running for KU. KK is all about some KSU.
    KK ownership is small. KU grad Chad Boeger is much bigger. The only thing KK likes more than KSU is money.

Yes | No
    It will be interesting to follow where KU sports ends up on the airwaves. I kind of like the 580 idea broached above, with an affiliate picking up the broadcasts in KC. 1320 will probably carry it in Lawrence.

Hawkaholic
    Twitter
    JayhawkLifer

Yes | No
    810 it is.

http://www.kuathletics.com/news/2017...wks-in-kc.aspx

KK might just explode. Hookers in the area better take cover.
    My train of thought derailed. There were no survivors.

Yes | No
    This is a good move.

Participant

Yes | No
    Fanning?
    Isn't he that dorky Kstater who worked at Wright online U, or something, and would get smacked 1000 times when he tried to troll in Phog.net?

I seem to remember he was crying when he dared people to,post something personal about him, and lots of info showed up in minutes. He pussied out whining that his wife was a Jayhawk, or something like that. Can't really recall much, other than that he was laughed at.
    Not a frequent poster

Administrator

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetheWheat View Post
    This is a good move.
    Not saying you're wrong, but care to elaborate? All I know of KC Sports Radio is basically what I read in this thread, what I've read on phog, and what I knew from my college days (which I assume doesn't apply anymore)

does 810 have a bigger footprint? It sounds, from this thread, like they have better talent....will KK have to pretend to be a KU fan?

Yes | No
    Cats will move to 610 because it's better than alternative.

unwashed mass

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by RonDonald View Post
    He's on 810. I'm sure he'll handle it like an adult if/when KU bumps K-State off of the station.
    He'll have ol' Jack on to discuss the situation.
    Last edited by ephemeral; 07-26-2017 at 11:01 AM.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkLifer View Post
    810 it is.

http://www.kuathletics.com/news/2017...wks-in-kc.aspx

KK might just explode. Hookers in the area better take cover.
    It's going to be fun to watch KK have to talk about KU, and not take a dump on it. Will we be able to tell if he's crying inside while he's doing it? Or will he even talk about KU?

unwashed mass

Yes | No
    Special K loves money more than K-State or hating KU. I'm sure they'll enjoy the increased revenue from all the basketball broadcasts.

Yes | No
    For as much as people love to bitch about 810, it's a pretty damn sports good radio station with a lot of listeners. 610 is garbage. I'd never listen to it again if it wasn't for the Royals.

Yes | No
    I like the way this was handled. Let 610 announce that KU won't be on the station anymore, and then KU is able to follow-up the very next day announcing the new arrangement with 810. I think this will be a good move, and at the very least, a net neutral. Hopefully KU was able to squeeze out every penny possible from 810 ownership.

Yes | No
    KK and Clinkscale doing KU. How much fun will that be?

Yes | No
    Listening to KK now. He sounds defiant to me. Talking about his "blackball list" ... saying nothing changes. Quite butt-hurt I'm thinking.

Yes | No
    Jack Harry next on Between the Lines...should be interesting.

Yes | No
    "KU should never been on the radio. And that's Jack's Smack".

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    I very very rarely listen to talk radio anymore. I don't know how y'all still do it.
    (01:48:08) samandbendriveme: alright....later guys....i gotta go let someone suckle my teet

http://www.wavingthewheat.com/misc/HiD.jpg

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DeutschHistorian View Post
    I very very rarely listen to talk radio anymore. I don't know how y'all still do it.
    I am making an exception out of curiosity in this case, but I don't think we'll get a really good read on it until football season starts.

Hawkaholic
    Twitter
    JayhawkLifer

Yes | No
    Welp, that's all folks!

KU in, K-State out

In the past, 810 also carried play-by-play broadcasts for KU’s rival, Kansas State. However, KU fans won’t have to worry about situations in which the Jayhawks and Wildcats have games with overlapping time slots.
    According to WHB chief operating officer and general counsel Alok Srivastava, K-State games no longer will air on Sports Radio 810.
    “We’ve had a great relationship with Kansas State for 18 years, and we’re going to continue to provide great coverage of all the local schools,” Srivastava told the Journal-World. “We don’t know where they’re going to be broadcasting next year, but they’re not going to be on 810.”
    My train of thought derailed. There were no survivors.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkLifer View Post
    Welp, that's all folks!

KU in, K-State out

In the past, 810 also carried play-by-play broadcasts for KU’s rival, Kansas State. However, KU fans won’t have to worry about situations in which the Jayhawks and Wildcats have games with overlapping time slots.
    According to WHB chief operating officer and general counsel Alok Srivastava, K-State games no longer will air on Sports Radio 810.
    “We’ve had a great relationship with Kansas State for 18 years, and we’re going to continue to provide great coverage of all the local schools,” Srivastava told the Journal-World. “We don’t know where they’re going to be broadcasting next year, but they’re not going to be on 810.”
    The rather blunt way that Srivastava broke the news (KSU out) leads me to believe there was indeed some internal strife over the decision which needed to be nipped in the bud and put to rest. I am sure that KK is not happy with this, but it is still a good move for the station.

KK seemed unable to hide his disappointment; his monologue was quite defensive. I don't blame him for trying to protect and retain control over the intellectual content of his program, yet I'm sensing he's not at all a happy camper right now.

I think there are three or four years left on the KSU contract with WIBW. Our football program is likely to be back on track by then, so I wouldn't be surprised if KU is in the running for that contract when it is up. That may be a hard contract to get, but it would make the network very, very strong.

What I don't know is how our network is configured out of Wichita. Improving, refining, or expanding that agreement is hopefully the move KU will make in the meantime.

Does anyone know who the "blackballed" guest that he kept mentioning (at least twice) on the show is?
    Last edited by WhiteJak; 07-26-2017 at 06:38 PM.

Yes | No
    So where will K-State go? 580 Topeka?

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by All4KU View Post
    So where will K-State go? 580 Topeka?
    I believe KSU already has an agreement with WIBW 580 Topeka

http://cjonline.com/sports-catzone/2...ng-am-580-wibw

Yes | No
    Well that's a shame. I will not give 810 even a second of my listenership even for KU games.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteJak View Post
    I believe KSU already has an agreement with WIBW 580 Topeka

http://cjonline.com/sports-catzone/2...ng-am-580-wibw
    Then all is well. Hugs all around.

Yes | No
    I have always listened to 105.9 when I can't watch or if Fran is doing the game. Comes in fine in south JOCO. Not sure how it does the KCMO area and beyond.

Yes | No
    105.9's signal starts getting weak once you get north of the river or close to the sports complex, I find.

Peon

Yes | No
    What's up kids?

WWUR Tourney Organizer

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Norris View Post
    Not saying you're wrong, but care to elaborate? All I know of KC Sports Radio is basically what I read in this thread, what I've read on phog, and what I knew from my college days (which I assume doesn't apply anymore)

does 810 have a bigger footprint? It sounds, from this thread, like they have better talent....will KK have to pretend to be a KU fan?
    If I recall 810's footprint is one of the largest in the nation.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by chadrea View Post
    If I recall 810's footprint is one of the largest in the nation.
    Yeah, from what I've gathered the biggest problem is that 810 is a North/South directional signal at night while 610 remains non-directional. Here are the coverage maps I've found:

810 at night: https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WHB-AM&h=N

610 at night: https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KCSP-AM&h=N

Just for reference, here are both for daytime:

810 - https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=WHB-AM&h=D

610 - https://radio-locator.com/cgi-bin/patg?id=KCSP-AM&h=D

Yes | No
    Any reason why that is the case? Is there a limited amount of sq. miles they can cover, so they point it in a specific direction? Does it have to do with the location or type of antenna they use?

I will say it is nice having the stations signals last pretty much to St. Louis when driving that direction.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteJak View Post
    Listening to KK now. He sounds defiant to me. Talking about his "blackball list" ... saying nothing changes. Quite butt-hurt I'm thinking.
    Rumor is HC Beaty wouldn't go on his show. KK tries to make it sounds like he blackballed him but some think it was the other way around. KK, per the usual, trying to save face.