Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WavingTheWheat.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yes | No

First time coming to WtW, what should I know?

I'm from the phog but now that site is dead. What are this boards memes/unspoken rules?

Sadly until a few weeks ago I had no idea what WtW even stood for when it was referenced on the phog.

Yes | No
    Its easy here. Lightly moderated. If you want to post something Not safe for work. Please just put a label on it so someone doesn't accidentally get duped into a thread that gets them in trouble at work.

There are some other boards that we can approve you for if you are interested.

Political board and a NSFW only forum.

Magic Grue Trainer/Author

Yes | No
    No real rules other than public shaming. But mostly just be considerate and put NSFW in any thread title when it's warranted so people don't get in trouble at work. Also, full nudity is relegated to the Outhouse (you can request access). Again, it's not censorship, per se. We just try to keep the discussion forums clear of anything that could potentially cause problems for posters on monitored systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapadatass
    It's pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Administrator

Yes | No
    not really much to know, honestly, similar to phog as we broke off from there years ago

there was a bit of time where there was some animosity towards phog because of management that was misconstrued as hatred towards the posters over there

really, nothing is off limits, we're a pretty laid back bunch

welcome aboard

the reason "wavingthewheat" is banned over there and typed as WtW is, in the early days when we were trying to get people over here, we spammed the phog with links to our board, so they censored it...understandably so

Fire House is named in honor of Jayhawk Firefighter, IcemanKU's brother...that's our "hall"

probably considered to be lots of inside jokes by people new to the board, also understandable

Yes | No
    Oh and Joe is really the straw that stirs the drink around here. He with the help of a few others have kept this thing afloat.

Administrator

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetheWheat View Post
    Oh and Joe is really the straw that stirs the drink around here. He with the help of a few others have kept this thing afloat.
    *blushes*

canoe dude

Yes | No
    I am curious. This is a easy interface to get used to. Why do you think the traffic has been so light?
    And now, in the interest of equal time, here is a message from the National Institute of Pancakes: It reads, and I quote, “Fuck waffles.”

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman73 View Post
    I am curious. This is a easy interface to get used to. Why do you think the traffic has been so light?

Never reached that critical mass level where there were enough consistent posters to produce content that kept people around.

(21:01:09) ICThawk: z5 sweats swag and cums value

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ramblinman73 View Post
    We have our peaks and valleys. But lets be honest. Traffic on Messageboards in general has gone down. Then splinter KU fans up on KUsports, Shiver, Slant, WtW and Phog. Its just a lot of competition.

People love to hate phog.net. They keep going back despite not getting good customer service and poor message board software. They were the first successful off-topic board for KU fans. So that's a big advantage.

It wouldn't take much to increase traffic here. Just a few steady posters and they will come.

Yes | No
    Looking forward to contributing here. Hopefully my chitposting skills i learned from the phog come in handy.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetheWheat View Post
    Its easy here. Lightly moderated. If you want to post something Not safe for work. Please just put a label on it so someone doesn't accidentally get duped into a thread that gets them in trouble at work.

There are some other boards that we can approve you for if you are interested.

Political board and a NSFW only forum.
    I'd like to be approved for the pol board although I will miss the cf and trolls den that phog politics was

The Living Dead

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by km81hawk View Post
    I'd like to be approved for the pol board although I will miss the cf and trolls den that phog politics was
    I would asked to be approved for the Pols board but, when they figure out I'm Zombie35 they will probably deny me.

Yes | No
    I'm from the phog but now that site is dead. What are this boards memes/unspoken rules?

Sadly until a few weeks ago I had no idea what WtW even stood for when it was referenced on the phog.
    Don't let Protist touch you if he smiles at you.

Administrator

Yes | No
    BeakEm and km81 should now have the politics board

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by BeakEm35 View Post
    I would asked to be approved for the Pols board but, when they figure out I'm Zombie35 they will probably deny me.
    You are safe with me zombie.

Yes | No
    I used to have access to the pol board and outhouse, but sadly, no longer.

No matter, I wouldn't want to be part of a club that would have someone like me as a member.

(Can I get access, please?)

Administrator

Yes | No
    Hmmmm...illini, I just checked, you should still have access

Lemme take it away and put it back and see if that fixes it, just for reference politics would be under this board and outhouse would be in a section at the bottom by itself

edit: give that a shot

WWUR Tourney Organizer

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Norris View Post

Lemme take it away and put it back and see if that fixes it, just for reference (politics would be under this board and outhouse would be in a section at the bottom by itself)

Joe, please set me up with access to these two boards.

Thanks.

Administrator

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by chadrea View Post
    Joe, please set me up with access to these two boards.

Thanks.
    should be good to go

Yes | No

Lemme take it away and put it back and see if that fixes it, just for reference politics would be under this board and outhouse would be in a section at the bottom by itself

Got it now. Thanks!

Yes | No
    I don't seem to have access to the Politics Board and I can't even see the Outhouse.

Administrator

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by All4KU View Post
    I don't seem to have access to the Politics Board and I can't even see the Outhouse.
    You should be good to go

Full disclosure, you had your birthday set in 1900 so it wouldn't let me save your profile, so I changed it to 1960

Yes | No
    You should be good to go

Full disclosure, you had your birthday set in 1900 so it wouldn't let me save your profile, so I changed it to 1960
    What do I have to offer as a bribe to also receive accesses to those mythical places?

Administrator

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirehawk View Post
    What do I have to offer as a bribe to also receive accesses to those mythical places?
    You're in...feel free to wire me all your scout points, if you like, I will donate them to a charity of your choosing

Yes | No
    You're in...feel free to wire me all your scout points, if you like, I will donate them to a charity of your choosing
    Oh no, I've fallen for that one in the past. I wire my scout points and next thing I know I'm waking up in a bathtub full of ice missing a kidney.

Administrator

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirehawk View Post
    Oh no, I've fallen for that one in the past. I wire my scout points and next thing I know I'm waking up in a bathtub full of ice missing a kidney.
    That's just part of the WtW experience

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No
    One rule: No fucking cussing. You can't say stuff like shit or fuck. We don't fucking allow that.
    Grammar Police: To Correct and Serve -- Every time you misspell a word, the errorists win.

Double Secret M0derator
    Twitter
    TheNewCzar

Yes | No
    We have live chat here. It used to be busier but is the ONLY place to be during KU Basketball games. I'm sure if traffic grows it'll be a happening place during Football games. We used to hang on there on weekends but it may have detracted from forum posting so caveat empty.
    How many Lowes could Rob Lowe rob if Rob Lowe could rob Lowes?

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by dewarsrocks View Post
    We have live chat here. It used to be busier but is the ONLY place to be during KU Basketball games. I'm sure if traffic grows it'll be a happening place during Football games. We used to hang on there on weekends but it may have detracted from forum posting so caveat empty.
    That is the double-edged sword that started killing this site during it's first boom. Free chat was fun. So fun that people stopped posting threads. Then when visitors came, they saw an inactive board and didn't stick around. Rinse. Repeat. All the way down to like 12 active posters. There was even talk of disabling chat except on game days to correct the problem - which cause a civil war of sorts amongst the active posters at the time. IIRC, a bunch of people left during that spat.

I say all this to echo dewar's statement, and to reiterate the need to examine that issue well in advance of it becoming a catalyst for a forum content problem again now that it appears we may be picking up some steam again.

Posse

Yes | No
    There are a few posters from the phog that post constantly that would be a boon to this board, especially if you don't mind putting up with some BS to gain the traffic.

I gotta say I'm a fan of SLC's work, Trilla, Dogger, Drunk Namath, I don't know where those guys find the time to post like they do.

cowgodmoo and jeff are good for some entertaining spats also.

Posse

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
    That is the double-edged sword that started killing this site during it's first boom. Free chat was fun. So fun that people stopped posting threads. Then when visitors came, they saw an inactive board and didn't stick around. Rinse. Repeat. All the way down to like 12 active posters. There was even talk of disabling chat except on game days to correct the problem - which cause a civil war of sorts amongst the active posters at the time. IIRC, a bunch of people left during that spat.

I say all this to echo dewar's statement, and to reiterate the need to examine that issue well in advance of it becoming a catalyst for a forum content problem again now that it appears we may be picking up some steam again.

I really like the sound of having chat for live events like KU games, TV shows with threads (GOT). I would agree that it makes sense to just turn it on during the event and maybe for an hour or so after.

Yes | No
    All the regulars here have thick skins and all are/were regular posters over there. Bring them all over. Everyone is welcome.

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkCO View Post
    I really like the sound of having chat for live events like KU games, TV shows with threads (GOT). I would agree that it makes sense to just turn it on during the event and maybe for an hour or so after.
    I don't have a problem with leaving it on all the time OR turning on only for events. I can only say that since I've been here, I've never seen anyone in chat except during games. (Of course, after a few times, I only went to LOOK during games; so I can't say it's always an empty room).
    Grammar Police: To Correct and Serve -- Every time you misspell a word, the errorists win.

Posse

Yes | No
    Couple questions...
    Is there a formula for the ranks/titles or do the mods just change it as they feel (I'm a peon for example). Does it just change on its own when you reach post count landmarks?

How do you tell if posts have been thumbed up/down?

Yes | No
    What's wrong with being a peon?

Posse

Yes | No
    What's wrong with being a peon?
    Nothing at all, just wondering how it all works. Loving the format/functionality over here so far.

Hawkaholic
    Twitter
    JayhawkLifer

Yes | No
    Couple questions...
    Is there a formula for the ranks/titles or do the mods just change it as they feel (I'm a peon for example). Does it just change on its own when you reach post count landmarks?

To change your peon status you can go to Settings and then Edit Profile. There is a section called Custom User Title where you can change what appears under your name.
    My train of thought derailed. There were no survivors.

Soft

Yes | No
    Couple questions...

You can change your rank/title yourself. Go up to settings, it's under edit profile, I think.
    Also in settings, you can see who thumbed you.

Posse

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by JayhawkLifer View Post
    To change your peon status you can go to Settings and then Edit Profile. There is a section called Custom User Title where you can change what appears under your name.
    Thanks for the info JHL, anyone know how the up/down votes work here?

Soft

Yes | No
    Thanks for the info JHL, anyone know how the up/down votes work here?
    The more green thumbs you get, the more points you get. The more points you get, the more green bars you get. The more green bars you have the more points the green thumbs you give out are worth. Something like that. If you get enough green bars, you get a year's supply of Rice-A-Roni: The San Francisco Treat, or a lifetime supply of Turtle Wax.

Yes | No
    No pooping in the urinals, you sickos.

Yes | No
    Under settings you can also see who (if anyone) gave you a red thumb. It helps limit the anonymous passive aggressive bullshit and encourage actual dialog with people you disagree with in posts.

The Living Dead

Yes | No
    Under settings you can also see who (if anyone) gave you a red thumb. It helps limit the anonymous passive aggressive bullshit and encourage actual dialog with people you disagree with in posts.
    So no one star bandits? But how will I ever silently voice my displeasure of the liberal hoard that may soon migrate over?

Yes | No
    I always thought those anonymous one-star bandit stalkers were kind of weird. No anonymous red thumb bandits here!

Yes | No

I am in the same boat. I won't lead the world in posting, but I can contribute to photoshop threads if they are a thing around here.

Also mods can I get access to all rooms? TIA

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by BaricL7 View Post
    I am in the same boat. I won't lead the world in posting, but I can contribute to photoshop threads if they are a thing around here.

Also mods can I get access to all rooms? TIA
    I'm sure there will be an opportunity for Photoshop skills if our traffic keeps increasing.

Posse

Yes | No
    I'm sure there will be an opportunity for Photoshop skills if our traffic keeps increasing.
    I really prefer a good Ghetto MS paint thread to Photoshop, each their own I guess. Wish I hadn't deleted the pic from my avatar on Phog, some of my best work.

Yes | No
    Nothing beats a good ghetto MS Paint thread.

Yes | No
    I'm here for the gangbang.

Yes | No
    Nothing beats a good ghetto MS Paint thread.
    Logging ino my photobucket account every other year or so is like looking back at Ape Room yearbooks except without the message from Dogger telling me to "stay cool".