Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WavingTheWheat.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next year

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu123 View Post
    How many games does Cunliffe have to sit out to start the season?
    I think he's eligible whenever the fall semester ends so like mid-December.
    (01:48:08) samandbendriveme: alright....later guys....i gotta go let someone suckle my teet

http://www.wavingthewheat.com/misc/HiD.jpg

Yes | No
    Just FYI, I was primarily a Hoops Board poster on the Phog- and I expect I'll be the same here..

So with no further ado, my take on Next Season:

STARTERS

Devonte' Graham: He doesn't need to be Frank Mason (which is a good thing because he isn't Frank Mason). Graham has always been the better distributor; the more pure, in control, running the team Point Guard. Frank was an attack dog- D'Tae ole reliable. I don't want Graham attacking the basket like Frank; I want him running the show, picking up clutch steals on the defensive end, getting the ball into scoring positions, feeding Doke down low when he gets position, hitting perimeter shots, and taking the clutch shots. That's what I expect we'll see out of D'Tae in what should be his best year as a Jayhawk. It's his team.

Malik Newman: Let's all hope that the reports coming out of practice from last season are well founded. We need Newman to be a scorer and a guy who can break other team's down off the dribble. I have my doubts after what I saw of him at MSU, but we are talking about a former Top 10 burger boy with a big old chip on his shoulder who by all reports worked his @ss off to get better- he's also been in the Self system for a year. I have my concerns about his defense, but with enough of an offensive output, he can mitigate some of those concerns.

Svi: It's tempting to put Vick in here (as he was playing better than Svi at the end of last season), but Svi, as a Senior, has probably earned the right to start at the 3. We need him to be over 40% on 3s this year, and hopefully he can expand on his crafty game going to the rack. It would be HUGE if he could improve his defense and rebounding this season.

Billy Preston: Ready or not, this Freshman will start and start early on this season. The good news is that he has a NBA-ready body today. That will serve him well through the physical rigors of this season. Color me a bit concerned after watching him play at Oak Hill this season. He did not appear to have the motor that you'd want in a big guy; but with big guys, you never really can tell- a guy like Cauley-Stein who looked completely disinterested in HS became a baller in college. Sometimes it just clicks for big guys once they hit the floor with the talent, size, speed, and sophistication that exists in the college game.. I hope so for our sakes, because we'll need a little more than 30 minutes a game from him.

Doke: He'll be the first true low post scoring threat that we've had in some time. In fact, get it to him 5 feet from the basket, and that's check, mate- they will have to foul or allow him to dunk it all over folks. He's a 7 foot 280lb man-child; but what makes him unique is how nimble he is at that size. He's far quicker than most people realize- perhaps that's thanks to his soccer background.. Doke was on a trajectory to take most of Lucas' minutes by the end of last season. And Doke had a few games last year (like against Duke) where you were just like The big questions for Doke this season will be conditioning and fouls- can he give us ~28-30 minutes a game? If he puts together the kind of season I expect he is capable of, then I'd expect him to be a lotto pick in the 2018 draft.

BENCH

Guards: Vick will get a ton of minutes from off the bench at both the 2 and the 3. And when Graham needs a breather, expect Newman to slide over to the 1. The point is, we have a thin bench with 1 truly capable contributor off the bench in Vick. Look for the starters to log a ton of minutes. At Semester (mid-December), we will get some relief in Cunliffe. He is a wing, which brings our wing count to 3 capable players; but we cannot afford to lose a capable 1 (which consists of only Graham and Newman).

Bigs: And here is where the famous rubber meets the famous road. Thanks to both Coleby, Bragg, AND Whitmann leaving, we are down to having Lightfoot (AND ONLY LIGHTFOOT) as our bench bigs. This means a couple of things: (1) Lightfoot, who you'd ideally like to RS this season, will be playing a ton of minutes. I think Lightfoot is the kind of player Bill loves, with his motor and his energy and his willingness to do exactly what Self wants him to do (think of less talented players who got a ton of PT like Traylor, Morningstar, Moody, et al). But hopefully Mitch comes to play this year and is ready for the responsibility that will be heaped on his shoulders; ad hopefully he can improve on his 16% from the FT line...
    "I know who I am! I'm a dude playin' a dude disguised as another dude"

Administrator

Yes | No
    awesome, thanks for your contribution...we need more people to post about sports, especially in the offseason

I hope you enjoy getting thumbed

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    Self even lamented about not playing Lightfoot more last season so I think he'll be ready to fill his role. I think Bill will play small again plenty this year with Vick and Svi and possibly Cunfliffe? at the 4?
    (01:48:08) samandbendriveme: alright....later guys....i gotta go let someone suckle my teet

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by DeutschHistorian View Post
    Self even lamented about not playing Lightfoot more last season so I think he'll be ready to fill his role. I think Bill will play small again plenty this year with Vick and Svi and possibly Cunfliffe? at the 4?
    I can certainly see Svi gaining minutes as a slashing/shooting stretch four against certain lineups, particularly with Doke in the middle.

Yes | No
    I meant to add that (as the second part) of the Bench-Bigs bullet point.. We will have to go small this year- no other option as of yet. I can see at least 10 minutes having to be covered by a 'small'. Cunliffe won't be eligible until semester, but he did play some 4 at ASU (although that was part of why he left the program). If he wants significant minutes this season, he will have to play a little 4. Svi is the obvious choice with his 6'8 frame, but he has very small arms, underwhelming athleticism, and he is not a good rebounder. Svi is really more of a 2 than he is a 4. Vick, with his length and athleticism may actually be a better option than Svi, but god help us if he gets posted up on the low block. The problem is, we don't have a JJ on our roster who can adequately play the 4 as a guard. So we'll have to make due with what we have..

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by soapboxstew View Post
    I meant to add that (as the second part) of the Bench-Bigs bullet point.. We will have to go small this year- no other option as of yet. I can see at least 10 minutes having to be covered by a 'small'. Cunliffe won't be eligible until semester, but he did play some 4 at ASU (although that was part of why he left the program). If he wants significant minutes this season, he will have to play a little 4. Svi is the obvious choice with his 6'8 frame, but he has very small arms, underwhelming athleticism, and he is not a good rebounder. Svi is really more of a 2 than he is a 4. Vick, with his length and athleticism may actually be a better option than Svi, but god help us if he gets posted up on the low block. The problem is, we don't have a JJ on our roster who can adequately play the 4 as a guard. So we'll have to make due with what we have..
    But we actually have a rim protector and all around force in Udoka finally so that should help some if he's not in foul trouble.

Yes | No
    But we actually have a rim protector and all around force in Udoka finally so that should help some if he's not in foul trouble.
    Good point. That will cover up some issues with a lack of size at the 4. You also bring up a point about when Doke is in foul trouble: Who's playing then? Preston at the 5 (he is 6'10, 245lbs), with anybody else at the 4 is a bit of a scary thought. Still can't believe that we lost so many guys down low to transfer... Oh well, Bill can do work with a 7 man rotation, we've seen it before (2012).

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    We just have to hope that we don't continue the center curse and Dok goes down with another injury or else we're fucked again in the tourney.

Yes | No
    We just have to hope that we don't continue the center curse and Dok goes down with another injury or else we're fucked again in the tourney.
    If Doke or Graham go down, we're fukked- like we won't win the B12 fukked...

Yes | No
    Great write-up, even if it didn't mention the player i'm most excited for as he'll be a decent multi-year player for us, Garrett. Also, i'd prefer Vick to start over Svi but either option is ok.

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No
    I don't know that it's going to matter much whether Svi or Vick Starts. Both will get their minutes and how many they get in a given game will depend on how well they are playing that game. I would expect that in some games if Svi starts and isn't playing well, Vick may see more minutes than Svi, and vice versa.
    Grammar Police: To Correct and Serve -- Every time you misspell a word, the errorists win.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu123 View Post
    Great write-up, even if it didn't mention the player i'm most excited for as he'll be a decent multi-year player for us, Garrett. Also, i'd prefer Vick to start over Svi but either option is ok.
    Ugh, I got in such a hurry in the bench portion of my post that I flat out forgot about Marcus Garrett. From everything I've heard, the staff just loves this kid (you can ask any former phog pholk, I have some connections to the program, and I hear things...). They think he's underrated and he comes in with a big chip on his shoulder. I've also heard that he's closer to 6'7 now than the 6'5 that you'll mostly see him listed at. That's significant because he may well be our best option at the 4 when we go small. His last year in HS, he almost averaged a triple-double. He has a versatile game and a mature frame (though he does need to add some pounds of muscle); think of a Mario Little-type with much better handles and passing (but a much less mature body at this stage). He would be more of a point-forward type at the 4 when we go small. I'm very excited about MG, and he will get some tick this season. Can't wait to see some of what I've been hearing so much about..

Yes | No
    [QUOTE=soapboxstew;290304]Just FYI, I was primarily a Hoops Board poster on the Phog- and I expect I'll be the same here..

Doke: He'll be the first true low post scoring threat that we've had in some time. In fact, get it to him 5 feet from the basket, and that's check, mate- they will have to foul or allow him to dunk it all over folks. He's a 7 foot 280lb man-child; but what makes him unique is how nimble he is at that size. He's far quicker than most people realize- perhaps that's thanks to his soccer background.. Doke was on a trajectory to take most of Lucas' minutes by the end of last season. And Doke had a few games last year (like against Duke) where you were just like The big questions for Doke this season will be conditioning and fouls- can he give us ~28-30 minutes a game? If he puts together the kind of season I expect he is capable of, then I'd expect him to be a lotto pick in the 2018 draft.

I would love for this to be the case but I fear Doke will get the Tarik Black treatment from refs and have to sit for long periods of the first half of many games. Having said that, when he is in, he will be a beast.

Yes | No
    [QUOTE=anditos;290562]
    Just FYI, I was primarily a Hoops Board poster on the Phog- and I expect I'll be the same here..

I would love for this to be the case but I fear Doke will get the Tarik Black treatment from refs and have to sit for long periods of the first half of many games. Having said that, when he is in, he will be a beast.
    No doubt that Doke will be a foul magnet, his sheer size will draw fouls because people will fly off of him when he barely even touches them. He'll also get fouled a ton when he gets the ball in position down low. Guys will be fighting (and fouling) him to try to keep him from getting position. Point being, fouls will follow Doke all over the court. That's why we needed a guy like Coleby to stick around; we needed a true low post player to absorb the time when Doke will be out.

Yes | No

So with no further ado, my take on Next Season:

STARTERS

Devonte' Graham: He doesn't need to be Frank Mason (which is a good thing because he isn't Frank Mason). Graham has always been the better distributor; the more pure, in control, running the team Point Guard. Frank was an attack dog- D'Tae ole reliable. I don't want Graham attacking the basket like Frank; I want him running the show, picking up clutch steals on the defensive end, getting the ball into scoring positions, feeding Doke down low when he gets position, hitting perimeter shots, and taking the clutch shots. That's what I expect we'll see out of D'Tae in what should be his best year as a Jayhawk. It's his team.

Malik Newman: Let's all hope that the reports coming out of practice from last season are well founded. We need Newman to be a scorer and a guy who can break other team's down off the dribble. I have my doubts after what I saw of him at MSU, but we are talking about a former Top 10 burger boy with a big old chip on his shoulder who by all reports worked his @ss off to get better- he's also been in the Self system for a year. I have my concerns about his defense, but with enough of an offensive output, he can mitigate some of those concerns.

Svi: It's tempting to put Vick in here (as he was playing better than Svi at the end of last season), but Svi, as a Senior, has probably earned the right to start at the 3. We need him to be over 40% on 3s this year, and hopefully he can expand on his crafty game going to the rack. It would be HUGE if he could improve his defense and rebounding this season.

Billy Preston: Ready or not, this Freshman will start and start early on this season. The good news is that he has a NBA-ready body today. That will serve him well through the physical rigors of this season. Color me a bit concerned after watching him play at Oak Hill this season. He did not appear to have the motor that you'd want in a big guy; but with big guys, you never really can tell- a guy like Cauley-Stein who looked completely disinterested in HS became a baller in college. Sometimes it just clicks for big guys once they hit the floor with the talent, size, speed, and sophistication that exists in the college game.. I hope so for our sakes, because we'll need a little more than 30 minutes a game from him.

BENCH

Guards: Vick will get a ton of minutes from off the bench at both the 2 and the 3. And when Graham needs a breather, expect Newman to slide over to the 1. The point is, we have a thin bench with 1 truly capable contributor off the bench in Vick. Look for the starters to log a ton of minutes. At Semester (mid-December), we will get some relief in Cunliffe. He is a wing, which brings our wing count to 3 capable players; but we cannot afford to lose a capable 1 (which consists of only Graham and Newman).

Bigs: And here is where the famous rubber meets the famous road. Thanks to both Coleby, Bragg, AND Whitmann leaving, we are down to having Lightfoot (AND ONLY LIGHTFOOT) as our bench bigs. This means a couple of things: (1) Lightfoot, who you'd ideally like to RS this season, will be playing a ton of minutes. I think Lightfoot is the kind of player Bill loves, with his motor and his energy and his willingness to do exactly what Self wants him to do (think of less talented players who got a ton of PT like Traylor, Morningstar, Moody, et al). But hopefully Mitch comes to play this year and is ready for the responsibility that will be heaped on his shoulders; ad hopefully he can improve on his 16% from the FT line...
    i am fired up to watch newman and doke. if we could somehow land the holy grail (bagley) i will need to go to the ER with unending wood

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    That Western Kentucky five star dude has apparently cleared out his dorm room and has left campus. I wonder if Self was recruiting him.

Yes | No
    That Western Kentucky five star dude has apparently cleared out his dorm room and has left campus. I wonder if Self was recruiting him.
    Mitchell Robinson; Bill did recruit him some prior to his commitment to WKU.. He would be a HUGE pick-up. Center, Top 10 prospect, defensive minded, etc. The issue with him is that he enrolled in Summer classes, so he may have to sit out a year. If that's the case (that he has to sit out a year) then he may just go overseas and enter the draft after the year. That would be a horrible idea for him though because he really needs a few years of work on his body- he'd probably go 2nd round at best next year.

High Class Wheater

Yes | No
    Mitchell Robinson; Bill did recruit him some prior to his commitment to WKU.. He would be a HUGE pick-up. Center, Top 10 prospect, defensive minded, etc. The issue with him is that he enrolled in Summer classes, so he may have to sit out a year. If that's the case (that he has to sit out a year) then he may just go overseas and enter the draft after the year. That would be a horrible idea for him though because he really needs a few years of work on his body- he'd probably go 2nd round at best next year.
    WKU would have to release him for him to play this year. It's so late in the game so I wonder wtf he's gonna do.

Yes | No
    WKU would have to release him for him to play this year. It's so late in the game so I wonder wtf he's gonna do.
    My question would be, where did the godfather go?