Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WavingTheWheat.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Supreme Leader

Yes | No

Royals 2017 Thread

So it's 2017 and I'm starting this because:

#Mariners with a second deal. Getting OF Jarrod Dyson from Kansas City for RHP Nathan Karns.

(21:01:09) ICThawk: z5 sweats swag and cums value

Yes | No
    If Karns can perform anything like 2015, this is a great deal. I know lots on here love Dyson though. Does this mean they keep Orlando?

Yes | No
    Poop.

Not totally unexpected. And getting a starter is better than a reliever I suppose. Just a little underwhelming and sad. I still think Dyson is insanely undervalued and has a great role on this team. Especially with no full-time DH, he could get at least 3-4 starts a week as the outfielders rotate through that spot.

On the bright side Karns is young, controllable until 2020 and has decent stuff. Could be a mid-rotation guy.

But of course, probably most importantly, this move saves about $2 mil in payroll. Fuck the Glass family for the ultimatum to cut payroll this year. They are really trying to squander some goodwill they've earned in the last 2 years.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    People saying that this is going to hurt the Royals chance of resigning Hos are silly. He wasn't gonna resign anyways.

Yes | No
    Hopefully Eiland can work some magic to get Karns deeper into games since that's his big knock. At the risk of him becoming the next Wade Davis, I don't think his potential value as an RP makes him worth giving up a player as good as Dyson.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by NoPantsChico View Post
    Hopefully Eiland can work some magic to get Karns deeper into games since that's his big knock. At the risk of him becoming the next Wade Davis, I don't think his potential value as an RP makes him worth giving up a player as good as Dyson.

All about club control in my opinion. Dyson was a backup OF (on this team - not by skill) - I liked the idea of the rotating DH with him starting 3-4 times a week but I'm really okay with the value that we got back for 1 year of Dyson.

Yes | No
    ^^ Club control and cash. Glass is back in his saving money mode. The deal will save about $2m a year.

Yes | No
    Duffy signed for 5 years $65MM!!! Great signing!

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    "Fuck Glass for not spending money"

*signs best pitcher to long term deal*
    *Glass sips latte*

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhawkz5 View Post

*signs best pitcher to long term deal*
    *Glass sips latte*
    Well if we want to get technical, this move probably ends up saving Glass money in the long run. This deal, like Gordon et. al is heavily backloaded. Once the payroll plummets next year after all the FAs leave that's when these deals get pricy. And of course, revenue and payrolls generally tend to increase year-over-year.

So really, while Glass may be spending more later in the contract, it's likely going to be a smaller % of revenue and payroll than something like $10mm would be this year.

That said, love love love love this move. Love Duffy. Hopefully he can stay healthy. Even if he settles in as a #3 starter, at the way pitching prices are going, $15mm a year or so is a damn steal.
    Last edited by ono; 01-17-2017 at 01:20 PM.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Wow. This is horrible.

Cristian Moreno|ESPN@CristianMorenoD 8m8 minutes agoMore

#Royals pitcher @YordanoVentura Dead at 25 after fatal car accident earlier today, confirmed by #Dominican police force. Terrible news. #MLB

Yes | No
    Unreal. Just terrible.

Yes | No
    I'm at a loss. Just sad, tragic, horrible.

Yes | No
    I'm still trying to process it. His starts were events, especially early on, but also the last two seasons. You never knew what you were going to see, because anything and everything was on the table. Part of me still wonders how such an explosive fastball could come out of such a tiny body. I'm gonna miss him.

Yes | No
    I think we had a discussion earlier on this site about which Royal was the most likely Hall of Famer. I want to say I said Yordano was the most likely on this team. Such electric stuff, and at a young age too. Just fucking sad.

And not to sound callous, but of fucking course this would happen to the Royals. We just can't have nice things.

Supreme Leader

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post

And not to sound callous, but of fucking course this would happen to the Royals. We just can't have nice things.

Yeah I didn't want to get into this until things had settled down but we had 2 guys both under the age of 30 signed to solid, team friendly long term deals. I'm not going to go much deeper into the numbers now because I'm still kinda reeling. But it's a huge blow to the future of the team.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    I don't know the validity of these reports - but it may be of note that Pedro tweeted about the reports:

Yes | No
    Ya, that sucks, I had heard that. Hope it's not true. I find it a little hard to believe that he'd be driving around in the Dominican with his World Series ring on though. That's just asking to get robbed. It's probably worth $50K or so?

Administrator

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawker007 View Post
    Ya, that sucks, I had heard that. Hope it's not true. I find it a little hard to believe that he'd be driving around in the Dominican with his World Series ring on though. That's just asking to get robbed. It's probably worth $50K or so?
    My college roommate had a Venezuelan client (Juan Rincon) at his first job out of school (worked for his dad). He would tell us stories of buying a whole new wardrobe of like wal-mart clothing and stuff for when he went to visit Juan in the off-season. "Don't wear a watch, someone will rob you at a stop light" and things like that.

I, too, would find it surprising if he was wearing the ring, but who knows, perhaps he thought he was invincible

Supreme Leader

Yes | No

I mean, does it matter if his ring is on or not? People down there know what he's worth. Wilson Ramos was kidnapped and he doesn't have a World Series ring to parade around.

Administrator

Yes | No
    I mean, does it matter if his ring is on or not? People down there know what he's worth. Wilson Ramos was kidnapped and he doesn't have a World Series ring to parade around.
    Well, I think he's more saying, there's no need to bring added attention

In terms of after market, I know you could break the thing down, but I would imagine that would diminish value...otherwise, perhaps, if stolen, the thief is dumb and tries to unload it as is, leading to catching him....who knows

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Norris View Post
    Well, I think he's more saying, there's no need to bring added attention

In terms of after market, I know you could break the thing down, but I would imagine that would diminish value...otherwise, perhaps, if stolen, the thief is dumb and tries to unload it as is, leading to catching him....who knows

And what I'm saying is that the DR (like most of Latin America) is very baseball crazed and a young success story like Yordano is going to mean that EVERYONE in that country knows who he is and what he looks like. The ring really doesn't matter. They know him. They know his face. They know he has money. He could be dressed like a beggar and it wouldn't matter.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Coroner said he died on impact. So there is some solace to be had.

Yes | No
    Brandon Moss is in the fold at $12M over 2 years, which is fine but nothing special. Probably kills any remaining idea of rotating the DH, though.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    I think it's a solid signing, especially for the cost.

Yes | No
    What's the word on Hochevar? Are we even trying to re-sign him, or is he way too expensive for the return?

Yes | No
    What's the word on Hochevar? Are we even trying to re-sign him, or is he way too expensive for the return?
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was a handshake deal where he's going to be in the fold, but other needs have put the exact dollar amount on the backburner. Right now (I think) they still need at least one more SP.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by NoPantsChico View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if there was a handshake deal where he's going to be in the fold, but other needs have put the exact dollar amount on the backburner. Right now (I think) they still need at least one more SP.

After signing Moss, they said they still wanted another RP and a SP. I agree that Hoch probably wants to stay and has told them to go get the SP first and then they'll discuss his money.

Yes | No
    Jason Hammel's in for 2 years/$16M guaranteed. I imagine it's backloaded. Duffy-Kennedy-Vargas-Karns-Hammel is a pretty good rotation, under the circumstances.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No

*signs best pitcher on the market*
    *Glass sips latte*

Made a slight edit.

Yes | No
    "best pitcher on the market" is a bit of a tallest midget situation.

I like the deal though - the thought of running with someone like Chris Young in the rotation is terrifying. Hopefully Hamel's elbow holds up.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    "best pitcher on the market" is a bit of a tallest midget situation.

I like the deal though - the thought of running with someone like Chris Young in the rotation is terrifying. Hopefully Hamel's elbow holds up.

Yeah, I took plenty of liberty with that quote. But it's been the same thing every off season for the last few years. Moore says he can't go out and spend much and then the payroll inevitably gets higher. Gotta give Glass credit there, he's been about as good of an owner you could ask for the last 5-6 years.

Yes | No
    His numbers are great. Is it just because of his age (35) that we are able to get him for that cheap?

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    His numbers are great. Is it just because of his age (35) that we are able to get him for that cheap?

A mix of age and injury history. The market also fell flat for SP this off season.

Yes | No
    Yeah, I took plenty of liberty with that quote. But it's been the same thing every off season for the last few years. Moore says he can't go out and spend much and then the payroll inevitably gets higher. Gotta give Glass credit there, he's been about as good of an owner you could ask for the last 5-6 years.
    I think this extra cash came about because of the YV situation. Another arm was needed.

I agree, he's been a good small market owner lately, but I do think he's being shortsighted by not allowing for one more run with a higher payroll.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No

Supreme Leader

Yes | No

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Seeing Soler starting the year on the DL (and hitting like absolute ass in ST, not that it matters) makes me even more frustrated that we traded Dyson. Hope Karns is good this year.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Seeing Soler starting the year on the DL (and hitting like absolute ass in ST, not that it matters) makes me even more frustrated that we traded Dyson. Hope Karns is good this year.

I was sad about the Dyson trade cause I loved Dyson. But it was a smart trade, a trade that Dayton had to make.

Yes | No
    I still think he as a 4th OF and allowing Cain/Gordo/Soler to DH more, Dyson could provide plenty of value. Now we downgraded there to Orlando.

Now, signing Moss theoretically made that moot since he is mostly DH and can play some OF. Still wish Dyson was here.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    I still think he as a 4th OF and allowing Cain/Gordo/Soler to DH more, Dyson could provide plenty of value. Now we downgraded there to Orlando.

Now, signing Moss theoretically made that moot since he is mostly DH and can play some OF. Still wish Dyson was here.

But you can't just think about next year. You have to think beyond that and Karns is under club control until what, 2021?

Yes | No
    But you can't just think about next year. You have to think beyond that and Karns is under club control until what, 2021?
    Oh I know, but I'm just not totally sold on Karns. The kind of gamble I guess teams like the Royals have to make though.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Oh I know, but I'm just not totally sold on Karns. The kind of gamble I guess teams like the Royals have to make though.

Same gamble as Soler. Really effing sucks that Wade got hurt a few days before the trade deadline. The haul could have been much bigger.

Yes | No
    Same gamble as Soler. Really effing sucks that Wade got hurt a few days before the trade deadline. The haul could have been much bigger.
    and gun to my head, I think I'd rather have Dyson than Soler, at least for the next 2 years. Soler's value is in the years beyond that.

I understand the Cubs have a gigantic roster logjam, but if the best front office in baseball really liked him, I'm guessing they would have found a way to keep him. I agree w/r/t Wade, I'm guessing this was a trade of one flawed asset for another. I really hope I'm wrong but I have a gut feeling Soler will always be a disappointment.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    At least Soler gives us some really good nickname potential from Rex. Also if/when he goes on a 5-6 game hot streak, we'll get to hear Rex say he's Soler Hot which is hotter than Lava Hot but maybe not has hot as Magma Hot.

Yes | No
    For what it's worth, Karns looked great in his last couple Spring Training starts. If Eiland has fixed whatever kept him from going deeper into games, he'll be a really nice value.