Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WavingTheWheat.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Yes | No
    The Opening Day roster is out. A couple noteworthy developments:

1. Soler starts the season on the 10-day DL. Moylan takes his spot on the 25-man roster, but because he had to be added to the 40-man, they recalled Dozier and put him on the 60-day DL. Kind of complicated, but I guess it checks out. It's a bummer about Dozier; The system has enough fragile outfielders as it is.

2. Gore makes it. I like the everyday lineup's offensive potential and don't see many reps available for pinch-hitters (plus the pinch-hitters they do have aren't that good), so might as well carry a burner.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    I agree with your point on Gore. Especially considering Ned doesn't use PH...ever?

(21:01:09) ICThawk: z5 sweats swag and cums value

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
    I agree with your point on Gore. Especially considering Ned doesn't use PH...ever?
    Yeah, that too.

Yes | No
    I would rather roll with Whit instead of Gore. Yeah he's not as fast, but he's still fast enough to be used as a pinch runner, plus he provides other value. Gore has nothing besides his legs.

But I do tend to agree we are splitting hairs here. Probably best to let Whit get some work in Omaha rather than having him waste away on the bench anyway.

The Dozier thing sucks because now his service clock is ticking.

Yes | No
    I think Moustakas found all the pounds Perez lost.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    I miss HDH

Yes | No
    Imagine what will happen when we face a good team in decent weather

Administrator

Yes | No
    And so it begins!

Yes | No
    With this kind of performance, the Royals can afford to keep Hosmer after all!

Yes | No
    Do we want to though?

Yes | No
    welp time to start the fire sale?

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    I will still wait to panic until we hit the 5% mark of the season.

Yes | No
    NO FIRE EVERYONE NOW

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    NO FIRE EVERYONE NOW

I support this. Last time we all wanted Ned fired, good things happened.

Yes | No
    For real, at least the first two games, it looked like the team was still in spring training mode. Forgetting to cover bases, forgetting the count, etc. I didn't get to follow today's game very closely and it looks like the bats had a little bit of life, but it does seem like they haven't quite realized that these games count now.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    For real, at least the first two games, it looked like the team was still in spring training mode. Forgetting to cover bases, forgetting the count, etc. I didn't get to follow today's game very closely and it looks like the bats had a little bit of life, but it does seem like they haven't quite realized that these games count now.

Hosmer still likes to beat the ball into the ground, he'd maybe reach that 200mil contract if he would actually hit the ball in the air.
    LoCain has taken 4 or 5 walks, that's nice and hopefully is a sign of things to come.
    Raul got a hit! He also tried to bunt with no one on earlier in the game, send him down and bring Whit up.

Salvy got a dinger, that was cool.

Yes | No
    The Royals have always played Mondesi a level ahead of where he should be, but he just has no idea how to pick up major-league pitches.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Phew. Panic averted.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Does two count as a winning streak?

Yes | No
    This feels like last year, maybe even more.

Yes | No
    I'm all for more Whit Merrifield, especially if it means his sister will be at more games. Smoke show.

Yes | No
    Orlando and Mondesi down, Strahm and Bonifacio up. I dig it, though I'd dig it more if Mondesi had never broken camp with the big-league team to begin with.

Yes | No
    This offense is historically bad. WTF is going on?

Yes | No
    Hosmer has turned into a worse version of Billy Butler.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    They swing at 50% of pitches and swing at like 60% of pitches (I think) out of the zone. Pitchers know that. Throw them shit. They swing, they miss or make bad contact.

Rinse. Repeat.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by NoPantsChico View Post
    Hosmer has turned into a worse version of Billy Butler.
    The RRers have taken to calling him Miami Breakfast. I love it.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    The RRers have taken to calling him Miami Breakfast. I love it.

Cuban Breakfast.

Yes | No
    Duffy's out 6-8 weeks with an oblique strain. On the bright side, that should remove any remaining hesitation about opening the shop doors.

Yes | No
    Royals get to 500 despite pitching of Soria.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    I get pretty sick of the Soria hate. He's been better than Herrera by nearly ever statistic but nobody ever says "they won despite Herrera".

Yes | No
    Duffy's out 6-8 weeks with an oblique strain. On the bright side, that should remove any remaining hesitation about opening the shop doors.
    This post has not exactly aged well. I feel shame.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    1 game back in the wildcard and 2 back in the division.

This team.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    For better or worse, I think Dayton is going to be all in on this year unless we played like we did in April, in July.

Anyone disagree?

Yes | No
    Dayton is 110% all in. He doesn't sell.

I don't think we will buy - but there is no way any big pieces are moved.

I tend to disagree with that plan, but it is what it is.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Dayton is 110% all in. He doesn't sell.

I don't think we will buy - but there is no way any big pieces are moved.

I tend to disagree with that plan, but it is what it is.
    I'm with you.

This feels a lot like last year where we're going to be close in the WC race by being around 3-5ish games back but we're going to have about 4-6 teams to jump in the final month and it just won't happen.

I'd rather sell and try to rebuild for the next cycle. I don't think he buys because he'll be banking on getting healthy/minor league call ups to shore up some of the weaknesses. Zimmer is pitching out of the pen in Omaha, Duffy will be back soon etc.

Yes | No
    To clarify, I'm cool hanging on if we are within 3-5 games of a playoff spot at the deadline.

But any lower than that or a stretch where they drop 15 of 20 or something like that, I'm ready to unload. There are just too many teams competing for too few spots, and as you alluded to, I'd rather speed up the next rebuild by getting some parts now rather than wait for the next few drafts to come to fruition.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
    I'm with you.

This feels a lot like last year where we're going to be close in the WC race by being around 3-5ish games back but we're going to have about 4-6 teams to jump in the final month and it just won't happen.

I'd rather sell and try to rebuild for the next cycle. I don't think he buys because he'll be banking on getting healthy/minor league call ups to shore up some of the weaknesses. Zimmer is pitching out of the pen in Omaha, Duffy will be back soon etc.
    I disagree. I know the conventional wisdom is to stock the farm system with trade returns, but in a weird way, I think the meager farm system actually helps the case for buying because I don't see a single prospect that I wouldn't trade for someone who would help the core make one last run. They may not have enough to get a Cueto or Zobrist back, but they may be able to get some role players a la Willingham who could still make a difference down the stretch if they're in position. 2018-19 is going to be lean either way.
    Last edited by NoPantsChico; 06-30-2017 at 03:30 PM.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    I've changed my mind. Go all in, I don't care what it takes.

Moose just hit his 21st HR. I want him to break Balboni's record and get to 40 so no one can say "every team has a player with a 40 HR season...other than the Royals"

Yes | No
    So when is Duffy coming back?

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Today.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    This. Team.

Yes | No
    #Screw2018

Supreme Leader

Yes | No

High Class Wheater

Yes | No

We're in 2nd!

So, it looks like I'm banned from the 24/7 Scout forum because the email associated with my 24/7 account is one that I used during a sock war on the Scout site about a decade ago. They say I can contact the administrator, but he's more absent than TomLight. I could get a new account, but I don't post there enough anymore to bother so let's try this:

The Royals are now in sole possession of 2nd in the Central. Can you feel the excitement? Are we making playoff plans or should we still see what we can get for some of the guys?

Yes | No
    We already have a Royals 2017 thread, but what the hey.

I have no clue if they'll actually make the playoffs, but selling went out the window for me personally and for the team once they bounced back from April. Even though they don't have the pieces to land a big name, nabbing a back-end SP would be a nice little boost. 2018-19 is going to be rough no matter what they do this year, so I'm fully behind making one last run with this core.

Yes | No
    This is pretty cool, given whether they were just a couple of months ago. People were writing them off and now here they are. Battling for a playoff spot.

Administrator

Yes | No
    We already have a Royals 2017 thread, but what the hey.

I have no clue if they'll actually make the playoffs, but selling went out the window for me personally and for the team once they bounced back from April. Even though they don't have the pieces to land a big name, nabbing a back-end SP would be a nice little boost. 2018-19 is going to be rough no matter what they do this year, so I'm fully behind making one last run with this core.
    I don't think we're in a position to turn away any posting, haha

Soft

Yes | No
    They have a shot, if only because their division is garbage. Still think Cleveland will pull ahead, but you never know.

Yes | No
    Pretty much any other division and the Royals would be trailing by double digits.

Yes | No
    ^ the NL Central is just about as bad. Of course, the Cubs should run away with that one any day now.