Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WavingTheWheat.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718 LastLast

Thread: President Trump

Yes | No
    Also, I remember a president or 3 who was fucking shot. Would think those guys were treated just a bit more unfairly than our orange toddler in chief.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Special counsel Robert Mueller. Shit gonna get real.

Also, Kevin McCarthy on record saying "I think Putin pays" in regards to Trump. Paul Ryan told everyone to keep their mouths shut.

(21:01:09) ICThawk: z5 sweats swag and cums value

Magic Grue Trainer/Author

Yes | No

Sent from my iPhone using Tapadatass

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by GardArmighty View Post
    I think the overall welfare of the country should be put ahead of who we might think would be nominated for SCOTUS.

This isn't about partisanship any longer; it's about whether one is able to look past one's political leanings and see that this is a shitshow dumpster fire. Once our representatives wake up and start making our country their priority over the welfare of the Republican Party, then hopefully we can mitigate the damage.
    What exactly has he done to the country? With the exception of gutting the EPA, I'm pretty much on board with most of his agenda.

Am I missing ways in which your life is now worse because of President The Donald?

Yes | No

President Trump

Now, on a personality level I think he's kind of a douche, and I don't agree with how he goes about some things, but I still like most of his goals.

Soft

Yes | No
    Anyone who voted for this fucking turd really needs to do the country a favor and sit the next couple of elections out. You're hurting your country.

Yes | No
    As an economically secure white cisgender male, I'm pretty sure the composition of the Supreme Court matters more in my life than whoever happens to be president. That's without even considering my chosen profession.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
    What exactly has he done to the country? With the exception of gutting the EPA, I'm pretty much on board with most of his agenda.

Am I missing ways in which your life is now worse because of President The Donald?

He's probably made intelligence gathering more difficult since some countries most likely won't wanna share info with us now.

Having his DOJ tell prosecutors to support max penalties for drug charges. Appointing Jeff Sessions in general, really.

ETA: My life doesn't have to be worse off for me to think he's harmed the country.
    Last edited by Jhawkz5; 05-18-2017 at 06:39 AM.

Yes | No
    My closest friend for 50 years is a retired career Navy man, was a navigator on nuclear subs from ~1979 -~1999. For you kids, a lot of that was during the Cold War, and he spent a lot of time chasing and being chased by Soviet Subs. They would sneak into Russian ports and park the sub on the seafloor for weeks in silent mode just to see if they could get away with it. They had nuclear warheads on board, so had they been discovered, it wouldn't have ended well.

Last year during the campaign, during the Hillary email fiasco, my friend (big Trump supporter) couldn't get over the unconscionable breach of security Hillary allegedly committed. He was raging that American servicemen and women's lives were put at risk because perhaps some emails weren't on a secure server.

Yet, now, with Trump and Russia and a hackable Mara-lago wifi etc etc etc etc etc, I asked my friend if Trump's irresponsible actions made him feel as threatened and worried about his fellow service men and women as the Hillary email scandal did. His reply is that he really doesn't think Trump has compromised America's security or intelligence.

To me, that is a textbook case of cognitive dissonance. He is simply unable to accept that he may have made an error in analysis or judgment, and to admit as such would be at too great of a cognitive cost, so his brain has perform almost miraculous feats of psychological gymnastic to convince himself that Hillary put the US in harm's way, yet Trump hasn't.

I completely understand if he holds true to the "traditional Republican narrative", its goals and policies. There are many Republican ideals that I am totally on board with. But to embrace Trump as the mouthpiece of those ideals is something I literally cannot comprehend. I absolutely can't understand how even the most staunch Republican can defend anything Trump has said or done.

My own theory is for a Republican to do so would 1. be an admission that he/she was wrong, which is difficult for anyone about anything, 2. it would imply that they support/endorse Hillary and/or other Dems (which is patently false, or 3. that they think he will right the ship and it will be ok in the end.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
    He's probably made intelligence gathering more difficult since some countries most likely won't wanna share info with us now.

Having his DOJ tell prosecutors to support max penalties for drug charges. Appointing Jeff Sessions in general, really.

ETA: My life doesn't have to be worse off for me to think he's harmed the country.
    LOL

Administrator

Yes | No
    My own theory is for a Republican to do so would 1. be an admission that he/she was wrong, which is difficult for anyone about anything, 2. it would imply that they support/endorse Hillary and/or other Dems (which is patently false, or 3. that they think he will right the ship and it will be ok in the end.
    I was raised a Republican and have since become more moderate. I don't like Trump and I don't like Hillary, and I basically had no good option in this election (see my original post in this thread)..."my" party disappoints me so often I don't consider myself "republican" anymore...I guess that makes sense, cause I don't fit into your 3 piece puzzle for pubs...I'm certainly not a democrat though

Yes | No
    My closest friend for 50 years is a retired career Navy man, was a navigator on nuclear subs from ~1979 -~1999. For you kids, a lot of that was during the Cold War, and he spent a lot of time chasing and being chased by Soviet Subs. They would sneak into Russian ports and park the sub on the seafloor for weeks in silent mode just to see if they could get away with it. They had nuclear warheads on board, so had they been discovered, it wouldn't have ended well.

Last year during the campaign, during the Hillary email fiasco, my friend (big Trump supporter) couldn't get over the unconscionable breach of security Hillary allegedly committed. He was raging that American servicemen and women's lives were put at risk because perhaps some emails weren't on a secure server.
    Does he know that Trump orders his steak well-done and eats it with ketchup?

Soft

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyDisease View Post
    As an economically secure white cisgender male, I'm pretty sure the composition of the Supreme Court matters more in my life than whoever happens to be president. That's without even considering my chosen profession.
    I can't imagine how the make up of the Supreme Court would affect you in any real way. What exactly effect do you think a liberal court would have on you personally? Maybe make it harder for you to get a gun?

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Protist View Post
    I can't imagine how the make up of the Supreme Court would affect you in any real way. What exactly effect do you think a liberal court would have on you personally? Maybe make it harder for you to get a gun?

Killing all the babies and stealin' all the guns imo

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Protist View Post
    I gave it some serious thought, and I really can't think of how the Supreme Court would be likely to affect me personally, other than making convoluted laws that are difficult to apply. The point wasn't that the Supreme Court has a huge impact on me personally. Rather, the President has very little impact on me personally.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Administrator

Yes | No
    I don't know why, but I can't post pics on phone...Trump on exhaustion

https://m.imgur.com/bkBvlEx

Yes | No
    LOCAL MAN GRABS WALL BY THE PUSSY

Trump Wall.jpg

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyDisease View Post
    I gave it some serious thought, and I really can't think of how the Supreme Court would be likely to affect me personally, other than making convoluted laws that are difficult to apply. The point wasn't that the Supreme Court has a huge impact on me personally. Rather, the President has very little impact on me personally.

The Supreme Court doesn't make laws.

(Theoretically)
    Grammar Police: To Correct and Serve -- Every time you misspell a word, the errorists win.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTCShore View Post
    The Supreme Court doesn't make laws.

(Theoretically)
    Sure they do. They make common law.

Yes | No
    Don't step to...

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Ummmm is it bad that I'm honestly not sure if this will end up getting Gianforte MORE votes?

Yes | No
    Fun Fact: In 100 years, there hasn't been a single member of the Trump family who has served in the military.

Yes | No
    COVFEFE

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Glad we're pulling out of the Paris Climate deal.

Who needs a planet anyway, amirite?!

Yes | No
    We, along with Syria and Nicaragua, know what's best for our planet and the future of humankind.

#MAGA

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    We, along with Syria and Nicaragua, know what's best for our planet and the future of humankind.

#MAGA
    Nicaragua didn't think it went far enough, either.

Yes | No
    Nicaragua has always led the way in scientific and technological innovation and implementation.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Nicaragua has always led the way in scientific and technological innovation and implementation.

To be fair, I think it was more of "this needs to not be a voluntary thing because then we'll change from 2 degrees to 3..to 4.." and so on.

Yes | No
    I wonder what Frobvfefe thinks about all of this.

Yes | No
    I think I've stated my views pretty explicitly earlier in this thread regarding this issue. I'm a member of the Sierra Club and a strong proponent of the environment. But, BUT, I am not willing to support world environmental policy that damages the U.S. economy - mostly because I think that the world will not truly get together to actually do enough to stave off global warming in any meaningful way when compared to the economic damage that pursuing it will cause to our country - which the U.S. will take a much bigger hit on than other emerging economies such as China and India. I don't give a crap what the current situation is or how long we've been a certain levels. It is what it is...and hits to all countries should be equal. We shouldn't shoulder more of the burden just because of our past industrial usage. This is a world of finite resources and all U.S. global policy should seek to maximize their use for our population. Period.

Yes | No
    I know. I just wanted to work the word Frobvfefe into the conversation.
    Last edited by GardArmighty; 05-31-2017 at 02:17 PM.

Yes | No
    It is what it is...and hits to all countries should be equal. We shouldn't shoulder more of the burden just because of our past industrial usage. This is a world of finite resources and all U.S. global policy should seek to maximize their use for our population.
    So you don't want the US to be a world leader in preserving our planet for the future? So because we can't change the whole world, we shouldn't even try? is that what you're advocating?

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    So you don't want the US to be a world leader in preserving our planet for the future? So because we can't change the whole world, we shouldn't even try? is that what you're advocating?
    Your assessment of my position is correct regarding the accords. IMO, there is zero chance that anything that can actually be accomplished politically on the world stage will stop climate change, but it will certainly damage our economy. That's a stupid tradeoff just to say we are leading and doing something - even if it fails. No thanks. However, I don't think that we should stop researching back-end solutions to the problem, especially if it comes from U.S. patents that we can profit on. And fossil fuels are a finite commodity, so we will eventually have to go completely over to renewables at some point anyway - I just think we should do it when the scarcity of fossil fuels make renewables the sound economic choice.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Genuinely curious, what's your response to this, a letter from companies that make up a sizable chunk of our economy?

Yes | No
    Shills! All of them!

Yes | No
    They have clearly set up a profit plan based on the old status quo and positioned themselves for it. Not one of those company's shareholders give one shit about the environment - and companies don't exist to care. Individuals care; groups are honey badgers. That's just the nature of things.

Yes | No
    From a decidedly leftist rag (that I read regularly): http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blo...-paris-climate

Yes | No
    Genuinely curious, what's your response to this, a letter from companies that make up a sizable chunk of our economy?

I'm really fascinated by the composition of that group. It's like a few tech giants got together, then sent out an email blast like, "oh shit, let's see who else is with us but hurry up we can only take whoever responds in the next 15 minutes."

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    They have clearly set up a profit plan based on the old status quo and positioned themselves for it. Not one of those company's shareholders give one shit about the environment - and companies don't exist to care. Individuals care; groups are honey badgers. That's just the nature of things.
    The old status quo? They're urging him to stay in it, not leave.

Wouldn't the old status quo be pre Paris agreement?

Yes | No
    It's refreshing to see the level of science literacy in North America's leaders. Trump and Trudeau are on the cutting edge.

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No
    Grammar Police: To Correct and Serve -- Every time you misspell a word, the errorists win.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No

Administrator

Yes | No
    According the the NYT:
    "But he will stick to the process laid out in the Paris agreement, which President Barack Obama joined and most of the world has already ratified. That could take four years to complete, meaning a final decision would be up to the American voters in the next presidential election"

So, perhaps one of two things here...
    1. This stunt was purely to take a shot at Obama (I don't think he's this smart)
    2. He saw that backlash, did some research, and realized how bad of a decision he was making, but is too much of a chicken shit to admit he was wrong

edit: never mind, the quote I saw was wrong

He'll stick to the withdrawal process and that will likely take long enough that he is no longer president...I can't imagine him getting re-elected, but I couldn't imagine him getting elected in the first place
    Last edited by Joe Norris; 06-01-2017 at 02:54 PM.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Norris View Post
    According the the NYT:
    "But he will stick to the process laid out in the Paris agreement, which President Barack Obama joined and most of the world has already ratified. That could take four years to complete, meaning a final decision would be up to the American voters in the next presidential election"

So, perhaps one of two things here...
    1. This stunt was purely to take a shot at Obama (I don't think he's this smart)
    2. He saw that backlash, did some research, and realized how bad of a decision he was making, but is too much of a chicken shit to admit he was wrong

edit: never mind, the quote I saw was wrong

He'll stick to the withdrawal process and that will likely take long enough that he is no longer president...I can't imagine him getting re-elected, but I couldn't imagine him getting elected in the first place

It's #1. It's pretty much all his Presidency has been so far. Try to roll back anything Obama did.

Yes | No
    It's #1. It's pretty much all his Presidency has been so far. Try to roll back anything Obama did.
    To be fair, undoing Obama was pretty much his entire campaign strategy.