Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WavingTheWheat.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: President Trump

Supreme Leader

Yes | No

President Trump

Did anyone on wheat vote for Trump? I'm curious, I want to hear you reasons why. I won't argue with you or tell you you're wrong cause that won't get us anywhere. I can't say that I know more than a handful of Trump supporters so I haven't really been able to hear arguments from that side.

Anyone willing to share?

(21:01:09) ICThawk: z5 sweats swag and cums value

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No
    I voted for Johnson/Weld. A lot of people told me that I'm throwing my vote away. I disagree.

That said, I have a few (very few) actual Trump supporters in my circle of friends, but know quite a few people who voted for him in order to vote against Hillary.

The handful of vocal Trump supporters I know are strong supporters of the second amendment, active hunters and fishermen, blue collar workers and call themselves Christians while not being religious or church attenders.

Those who voted for Trump to vote against Hillary generally say they dislike and distrust Trump but they see Hillary as the epitome of corrupution; she represents, to them, everything that is wrong with the political system.

I'm not sure who I would have voted for if I were forced to vote for one or the other. I think Hillary would have made a better president, but I also agree that she is corrupt to the core. Trump, as I see it, is just completely clueless. His only hope is to surround himself with people who are knowledgeable and to take their advice. I don't see him doing that.
    Grammar Police: To Correct and Serve -- Every time you misspell a word, the errorists win.

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No
    I probably should add: I think in the KC area, the Evangelical vote was strong for Trump only because they were strong against Hillary, not for anything Trump said or did. I think the rural Kansas vote, which tends to be more anti-Washington establishment but less Evangelical, voted for Trump because of the second Amendment issue and an anti-immigration sentiment.

In the swing states of Florida, Michigan, Ohio and Pennsylvania, all of which went Trump (I think the jury is still out on Michigan, though) the vote for Trump was a feeling that Trump was stronger on keeping companies in the US from leaving the country and also the anti-immigration (especially from the Middle East) sentiment.

That said, I don't think either party fielded a strong Candidate. I honestly believe that had the Democrats nominated ANY other nominee from their party, they would have beaten Trump, and if the Republicans had nominated ANY other candidate that was viable during the primaries from their party, it would have been a 46 to 48 state landslide against Clinton.

That's my "expert" political analysis.
    Grammar Police: To Correct and Serve -- Every time you misspell a word, the errorists win.

Yes | No
    at least we'll have the hottest first lady so theres that

Yes | No
    Voted straight D in JOCO Senate district 10 and House district 39. None of my candidates won. Retained the justices though. And I get to pay more taxes for a courthouse I'll never use, which is sweet.

I really, really hate Mary Pilcher-Cook. So happy she gets to represent me even longer now.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by MissTCShore View Post

The handful of vocal Trump supporters I know are strong supporters of the second amendment, active hunters and fishermen, blue collar workers and call themselves Christians while not being religious or church attenders.
    This is what I will never understand about hardcore GOPers - why are gun rights and/or abortion more important than anything else? More important than the economy or education or foreign relations? A GOP candidate can get away with murder as long as they don't touch mah gunszzz. It doesn't make sense to me.

I don't mind if you support the total R platform over the D platform. But to vote based on a single issue that is not that damn important is what is frustrating to me.

Yes | No
    I'm not a huge fan of HRC, but I voted for her. I wish there had been a reasonable third party candidate, but Stein was batshit crazy and Johnson was a weird dumbass.

This is America, for better or worse.. This election has revealed what our attitudes as a society are. Will it be better now that they are out in the open? Time will tell.

Administrator

Yes | No
    Rather than not vote, I voted for Evan McMullin

his goal was not to win, necessarily, but to win a couple states to block either candidate from getting to the 270 necessary electoral votes to win

obviously, that didn't happen
    Last edited by Joe Norris; 11-09-2016 at 10:06 AM.

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No
    I'm a little surprised at the reaction tonight by some people in major cities across the US. True, Trump was not my choice. But the fact remains, he was elected and its time to move on.

It seems that some people only like democracy if the outcome is the one they want. If it isn't, they can't seem to handle it.

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No

Yes | No
    I agree MissT. It's a little late now. In a DM, I put it like this:

Isn't protesting after an election kinda like strapping on a condom after you've aborted the baby?

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No
    I suppose, on some level, it is a little ironic (given the demographic of the protestors) that they are protesting the results of a fair election, but did not have the same level of outrage when the candidate that they REALLY wanted (Bernie Sanders) was cheated out of winning the primary.

(For what it's worth, I'm convinced Sanders would have won the democratic primary had the Superdelegate votes not been cast very early on for Clinton. I'm also reasonably sure that Sanders would have beaten Trump in the General Election.)

Yes | No
    I agree 100%, MissT.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    In regards to the protesting, I agree it wasn't the right time and I do see it as somewhat silly. Take that time and go volunteer at your local democratic office and organize. BUT it's their right to protest. It's one of the best rights we have as an American. It does irk me that people are shitting on protesters because of that. Protesting the government is a fundamental pillar of American life.

That being said, this is what our President Elect called for after Romney lost:

Last edited by Jhawkz5; 11-10-2016 at 07:13 AM.

Yes | No
    A group of three kids (students?) were walking down "the Drag" last night yelling "FUCK TRUMP" and apparently trying to start a movement. People just crossed over to the other sidewalk and went about their business.

Regarding all these protesters, I acknowledge they are merely exercising their first amendment rights, to the extent that they are not engaging in criminal activity (rioting is not constitutionally protected). However, in the marketplace of ideas, it is entirely appropriate that I exercise my first amendment right to point out that they look/sound like sore losers.

In the ideologically-harmonious liberal enclave that is higher education, I must confess I'm getting a kick out of these folks realizing that they, despite their vast wisdom and unquestionably correct views, are entirely out of touch with the lives and concerns of the low people, upon whom they benevolently strive to impress their unquestionably correct views. Why won't they let us tell them what's good for them?

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No
    I have no problem with their right to protest, but now is not the time, in my opinion. All they are doing is making it look as if they would prefer a fascist dictatorship.

The time to protest is when Trump gets into office and starts doing stupid stuff. That's going to happen soon enough.

Protest something legitimate. Not a fair election.

Yes | No
    Again, agree with both. Ok, Trump got elected. That sucks, but here we are. But despite the stupid and incendiary things he's been spewing, he hasn't actually done anything yet, so what is there to protest? Let's not bleed before we're shot.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    I have no problem with their right to protest, but now is not the time, in my opinion. All they are doing is making it look as if they would prefer a fascist dictatorship.

The time to protest is when Trump gets into office and starts doing stupid stuff. That's going to happen soon enough.

Protest something legitimate. Not a fair election.

That's basically what I said. I think it's silly to do it now but I respect the right. Now is the time you should focus your efforts on joining/helping out organizations that align with your beliefs.

Magic Grue Trainer/Author

Yes | No
    I voted for Trump for SCOTUS purposes, immigration policy/enforcement and military budgeting. I will not vote for anyone that would install a Justice(s) that would go left on gun control legislation. Not now. Not ever. So whoever the Pubs put up was getting my vote. I'm not happy that it was Trump, but that was the only name on the ballot by the R. I'm a social liberal and an atheist, but I don't care enough about any of those issues on a personal level to let it sway my vote to a leftist candidate. I am an Independent without a party.

Johnson is probably most closely aligned with me most of my important issues except he doesn't want a strong military and couldn't find Aleppo on a map. So there that went.

Yes | No
    I suppose, on some level, it is a little ironic (given the demographic of the protestors) that they are protesting the results of a fair election, but did not have the same level of outrage when the candidate that they REALLY wanted (Bernie Sanders) was cheated out of winning the primary.

(For what it's worth, I'm convinced Sanders would have won the democratic primary had the Superdelegate votes not been cast very early on for Clinton. I'm also reasonably sure that Sanders would have beaten Trump in the General Election.)
    Sanders would have gotten killed in the General once the people that actually pay the taxes saw the economic analysis of his wacko-leftist programs. Not to mention that "free college" is completely unworkable in a network of state schools that are operated and supported by an incredibly diverse mix of state public funding sources. People that bought into that crap are fools of the highest order. Even the Dems realized this - that's why they actively killed his campaign.

Never underestimate the power of money when the people that have it are motivated to keep it. He's just going to remain a leftist myth until he dies, probably sometime early next year by the looks of him.
    Last edited by FrobozMumbar; 11-10-2016 at 12:18 PM.

Yes | No
    As far as my circle of friends go, almost everyone that I served in the military with were vocal and active Trump supporters. I live in California, so the other half of my circle tends to be wacky leftist loons. Keeps life interesting.

Yes | No
    I live in Texas, but if I lived in a swing state I would have voted for Trump solely for Supreme Court purposes, much like Frobz. I think this is a perfectly rational and defensible reason to vote for Trump, despite his rhetoric and antics. Elevating a blowhard like Trump to the presidency is worth it to me in order to avoid a generation or more with a majority-liberal SCOTUS. (Liberal justices tend to make bad law by assuming too much policy-making authority, which should remain almost exclusively with the legislative branch--the way it was designed to work.)

The (quite large) portion of society that assumes this election outcome indicates an endorsement from half our citizens of racism, xenophobia, and myriad other flavors of bigotry are simply not thinking critically. I hold the view that an American president is effectively checked by design of government from effectuating the parade of horribles imagined by these panic-stricken fools. And if he goes too far, we have avenues available to remove him from power.

Forget what Candidate Trump said in order to get elected. Don't let fear inform your point of view. Let's see what President Trump actually says and does. I would be shocked if we didn't see an entirely different Trump going forward.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyDisease View Post
    I live in Texas, but if I lived in a swing state I would have voted for Trump solely for Supreme Court purposes, much like Frobz. I think this is a perfectly rational and defensible reason to vote for Trump, despite his rhetoric and antics. Elevating a blowhard like Trump to the presidency is worth it to me in order to avoid a generation or more with a majority-liberal SCOTUS. (Liberal justices tend to make bad law by assuming too much policy-making authority, which should remain almost exclusively with the legislative branch--the way it was designed to work.)

The (quite large) portion of society that assumes this election outcome indicates an endorsement from half our citizens of racism, xenophobia, and myriad other flavors of bigotry are simply not thinking critically. I hold the view that an American president is effectively checked by design of government from effectuating the parade of horribles imagined by these panic-stricken fools. And if he goes too far, we have avenues available to remove him from power.

Forget what Candidate Trump said in order to get elected. Don't let fear inform your point of view. Let's see what President Trump actually says and does. I would be shocked if we didn't see an entirely different Trump going forward.
    I agree with all of this.

I also think that it's worth noting that the Republicans don't honestly know what they are going to get from him either. It's going to be interesting to see how President The Donald steers this crazy bus.

Yes | No
    We really didn't have any good choices. I just couldn't vote for a narcissistic, anti-science, xeonophobic bigot. As the "father" of a gay black son, issues prejudice and social equity are high on my list of priorities, and we have already seen what his election has catalyzed in only two days. It's horrible.

I'm a gun owner and 2nd amendment supporter, and I recall in '08 and '12 my pro-gun friends screaming that Obama was going to take away their guns. Did he? Does anyone think HRC could do that with a Republican majority and NRA influence?

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
    I voted for Trump for SCOTUS purposes, immigration policy/enforcement and military budgeting. I will not vote for anyone that would install a Justice(s) that would go left on gun control legislation. Not now. Not ever. So whoever the Pubs put up was getting my vote. I'm not happy that it was Trump, but that was the only name on the ballot by the R. I'm a social liberal and an atheist, but I don't care enough about any of those issues on a personal level to let it sway my vote to a leftist candidate. I am an Independent without a party.

Johnson is probably most closely aligned with me most of my important issues except he doesn't want a strong military and couldn't find Aleppo on a map. So there that went.
    I'm curious on a follow up to this post, you don't have to answer if you don't want.

But frankly, the SCOTUS position shouldn't even be open. Congress didn't do their job. Sure i get that Garland may not have been confirmed but they didn't even start the process and that to be is unacceptable.

Do you have any thoughts on that? I mean, they flat out failed their civic duty on that part - did you re-elect those that were up for their seat? Again as I said in the OP - I'm not trying to come off as crass or anything here. Genuinely curious what your thoughts on this are.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by EasyDisease View Post

Can you expand on the bolded? I would imagine that most people would say the Warren Court was a huge net positive for America/Americans. I can't say I'm a huge SCOTUS buff or anything like that so maybe I'm ignorant on some of the history.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by GardArmighty View Post
    We really didn't have any good choices. I just couldn't vote for a narcissistic, anti-science, xeonophobic bigot. As the "father" of a gay black son, issues prejudice and social equity are high on my list of priorities, and we have already seen what his election has catalyzed in only two days. It's horrible.

I'm a gun owner and 2nd amendment supporter, and I recall in '08 and '12 my pro-gun friends screaming that Obama was going to take away their guns. Did he? Does anyone think HRC could do that with a Republican majority and NRA influence?
    California's gun laws, especially the new ones requiring non-removable magazines and background checks and a waiting period each time you buy bullets (and yes, they also specifically prohibit buying bullets in other states and transporting them across state lines (made it a felony), plus another one that I think makes any mag holding more than 5 bullets illegal as well (yes, there were several competing ones that all were passed, so now the fight begins on how to rank-order them). Plus the older ones regarding "bullet buttons," no pistol grips on long guns, no flash suppressors, no carry handles...the ridiculous list goes on and on and on and on.

TLDR: It's going to require SCOTUS to curb this idiocy because the 9th Circuit certainly isn't going to do anything about it. And if we have a leftie SCOTUS, well they probably just won't ever agree to hear it. So, yes, Hillary most certainly could have done something that would directly affect my ability to enjoy my Constitutional rights.

My question back to you is do you really think that President The Donald can or would do anything to set back civil rights in this country? Most conservatives I know (the Constitutionalist kind, not the Born Again kind as we don't really have those in our hedonist Shangri-La state) don't really care to insert themselves into anyone's personal or social life. If anything, not legitimizing BLM and their false narrative like Barry did will go a long way to actually improving race relations in this country, IMO.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
    I'm curious on a follow up to this post, you don't have to answer if you don't want.

But frankly, the SCOTUS position shouldn't even be open. Congress didn't do their job. Sure i get that Garland may not have been confirmed but they didn't even start the process and that to be is unacceptable.

Do you have any thoughts on that? I mean, they flat out failed their civic duty on that part - did you re-elect those that were up for their seat? Again as I said in the OP - I'm not trying to come off as crass or anything here. Genuinely curious what your thoughts on this are.
    Why start it if they have a majority and knew that they were going to vote him down? Then they would have had to bring it to a conclusion one way or the other before the election. I think they were sitting on it and waiting for the outcome of the election. Had Her won, I think he would have been vetted and ratified before Christmas to prevent Her from nominating someone. Truthfully, other than being an outspoken advocate for gun control, he's pretty moderate. Also, there is plenty of precedent for operating SCOTUS with fewer than 9 justices, and has done so at varying numbers throughout U.S. history.

Edit to Add: The checks and balances part of this whole thing is the political fallout for waiting too long. The idea being that politics is politics and you do what you think you can get away with, and if/when the people don't like what you're doing, they vote you out of office.
    Last edited by FrobozMumbar; 11-10-2016 at 04:11 PM.

Yes | No
    Fro how do you think Biden would have fared in the general?

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhawkz5 View Post
    Can you expand on the bolded? I would imagine that most people would say the Warren Court was a huge net positive for America/Americans. I can't say I'm a huge SCOTUS buff or anything like that so maybe I'm ignorant on some of the history.
    I don't want to speak for EasyDisease here, but I think he's referring to things such as finding the penalties attached to not having health insurance (a key to making the ACA work) to be a tax - one that is levied just for existing - which was not mentioned as a tax anywhere in the ACA legislation and was probably the biggest Constitutional question out of all the legal challenges. SCOTUS took it up and Roberts crossed over to the liberals to pass it 5-4.

From the Joint Dissent in National Federation of Independent Business v. Sebelius: Justices Scalia, Kennedy, Thomas, and Alito joined an unsigned dissent that argued the individual mandate was unconstitutional because it represented an attempt by Congress to regulate beyond its power under the Commerce Clause. Further, they argued that reclassifying the Individual Mandate as a tax rather than a penalty in order to sustain its constitutionality was not to interpret the statute but to rewrite it, which they deemed a troubling exercise of judicial power.
    Last edited by FrobozMumbar; 11-10-2016 at 04:09 PM.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu123 View Post
    Fro how do you think Biden would have fared in the general?
    Slaughtered. Dude is a flat-out creeper. He couldn't have made it through the primary, otherwise I think he would have tried if he thought otherwise. Just my opinion though.

Yes | No
    I voted for Trump, and probably 90% of the people I know also voted for Trump. I would say about 80% of those people did it reluctantly because he was BY FAR the lesser of two evils in everyone's mind compared to Hill Dog.

I could go on and on about policy and beliefs about why he was a much better choice than her for all of our lives, but I'd rather discuss it verbally/in person than take the time to write a novel about it.

Yes | No
    The sad thing is that the majority of people I know voted AGAINST a candidate rather than FOR one.

Yes | No
    Voted more or less straight D in Missouri's 5th district. Pretty bummed that the voter ID amendment passed, amongst other things.

Yes | No
    @z5, that's a huge question and can't be addressed adequately in a summary fashion. The TL;DR version is that liberal justices are too quick to find new constitutional rights hidden (allegedly) in plain sight. They tend to threaten predictability in the law, which in my view should be one of--if not the--chief aims of courts. They usually disfavor what they view as "mechanistic" rules of law (read: predictable, understandable, workable) in favor of more "nuanced" approaches, which in my view is code for hiding the ball in order to advance whatever position you prefer, resulting in muddying up the waters and providing less clarity and guidance for lower courts and society in general. For me, it's just a fundamental difference in viewpoint regarding what the actual role of the judiciary is. I could have more to say, but I gotta run.

Yes | No
    I can't recall a presidential election where we had two candidates that most people despised as much as these two. If either party had put a respectable candidate up it would have been a landslide. I think the only reason Trump won was because he is an outsider.

Part of the problem
    Twitter
    MissTCShore

Yes | No
    Well, I'm okay with seeing Trump take office. I hope he does well and that, under him, America prospers economically and is able to deal with some of the international issues that we are currently facing. I do hope that he doesn't ignore global climate change and pretend it doesn't exist.

That said, I just hope he doesn't deport my ILLEGAL ALIEN ex-boyfriend WHOSE VISA HAS EXPIRED and who lives at

16784 Keeler Court
    Apartment 14-A
    Olathe Kansas

at the top of the stairs on the left and is usually home between the hours of 3 pm and 10 pm and drives a white 2001 Camry and may or may not have committed some additional illegal acts which I cannot confirm by PM to any INS agent who sends me a PM.

Yes | No
    YES!

Yes | No
    I'm not really down with the people protesting the outcome even though I'm disappointed in it, but I did find this amusing:

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Anyone have thoughts on the rumors floating around about Trumps appointments?

Rudy as AG, Newt as Sec of State (The same Newt who just proposed a new House Un-American Activities Committee to hunt "Islamic supremacists" in the US), former wall st exec as Sec of Treasury (I've seen both Goldman and JP Morgan guys rumored, I believe), Brownback as Sec of Ag.

Administrator

Yes | No
    Did anyone call him out on his hypocrisy, NPC?

I'm too lazy to look him up

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Norris View Post
    Did anyone call him out on his hypocrisy, NPC?

I'm too lazy to look him up
    Plenty have on twitter (including national writers) but I don't know if anyone has done it on mainstream media. Probably not.

Yes | No
    Voted for him. Wasn't thrilled when I voted.

I have enjoyed my vote very much since the election.

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    This is what I will never understand about hardcore GOPers - why are gun rights and/or abortion more important than anything else? More important than the economy or education or foreign relations? A GOP candidate can get away with murder as long as they don't touch mah gunszzz. It doesn't make sense to me.

I don't mind if you support the total R platform over the D platform. But to vote based on a single issue that is not that damn important is what is frustrating to me.
    When it comes to the Bill of Rights GOP voters are only aware of the 2nd amendment. When it comes to abortion, they reflexively follow their beliefs, for the most part, without regard to what happens to the woman. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems as though the right wants a woman to carry a fetus to term but isn't really that invested in helping her with taking care of the child.

Yes | No
    Here's THE DONALD for you. All others are cheap imitations. DONALD DUCK.jpg

Soft

Yes | No
    I'm not a Hillary fan. Never been a fan of the Clintons at all and thought they should just disappear after the whole BJ thing.

However, I think a vote for Trump was incredibly damaging to our country, and will embolden others like him to run. I do not take his views on women, minorities, the disabled, etc as "locker room" talk. People that voted for him in this thread are saying "nah, he's just full of crap, he's just saying that to get elected." Well, first off, that's some faith-based voting right there. You aren't going to take him at his word because you can see the true cut of the man? And even if you're right, why would you want a guy who preys on our most basal fears, who divides us in this way, to represent us? Every criticism I've seen of Hillary, who totally sucks by the way, Trump is as bad or worse. Plus:

1. He's not very bright.
    2. He doesn't seem curious about the world.
    3. He's thin-skinned.
    4. A guy who names everything he touches "TRUMP" does not care about the lower-middle class.

The protests you see and overall freak-out by the left isn't just because their candidate didn't win. This ain't our first rodeo. People didn't react like this when Reagan/Bush/Bush Part II and III were elected, and wouldn't have happened if McCain or Romney got elected. What Trump represents for many of us goes beyond R and D politics. While I appreciate Trump's willingness to "think different" and to attack some of America's sacred cows refreshing, I think Trump's ignorance, quick temper, and lack of fundamental values is a real danger to the country. The people he has surrounded himself has not put me at ease at all.

Now don't get me started on the Electoral College...

Yes | No
    You get the government you deserve. Time to turn the glass inward.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by WavetheWheat View Post
    Voted for him. Wasn't thrilled when I voted.

I have enjoyed my vote very much since the election.

You're enjoying a white nationalist, neo-nazi group speaking in great admiration of our current POTUS-Elect and invoking original Nazi propaganda in German in a government building?