Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the WavingTheWheat.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
    Soft

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by qwertyu123 View Post
    Remember that time when the Royals won the World Efin Series?

Fun starts @ 10:27
    Some thoughts after watching this.

1. Volquez was terrific until the 6th. Got a bit wild at times, as he's prone to do, but really didn't give them much to hit.

2. Harvey was FILTHY until the 8th. Just crazy good.

3. Duda's throw was just terrible. I honestly believe that I could make a better throw to home plate 9 times out of 10. I'm probably full of shit though.

4. When Hosmer tied it up, everyone in the world knew it was over.

5. Royals. Fuckin' A.
    Last edited by Protist; 11-09-2015 at 08:55 PM.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by NoPantsChico View Post
    The more I think about it, the more I'm talking myself into thinking that the Royals could afford to keep Gordon even without a big hometown discount. The current window is open for a couple more years, and by the time it closes with Hosmer, Moose, Cain, Escobar, etc. moving on, plus money coming from a new local TV deal, they could very well have enough payroll flexibility to keep Gordon around.

This is not healthy for me to think about.
    I was thinking about this too. And the years that his contract would eat up payroll, most of the payroll will be gone. The end of his deal would feature no Hosmer, no Wade, probably no Escobar. That's going to be a lot of payroll space freed up. Plus cheap salaries of Mondesi, Starling (hopefully) and others such as Dozier, Almonte etc.

(21:01:09) ICThawk: z5 sweats swag and cums value

Yes | No
    I honestly don't think it's that we can't afford Gordon. I think it's a matter of if we want to afford him.

He is going to command 5 years, meaning he'd be 36 when the contract expires. So much of his game is predicated on his athleticism and some scouts say it has already begun to drop off. I think it's safe to expect his athleticism to reduce each year. Plus, he is fairly injury prone throughout his career.

Do we really want to tie up somewhere around 1/6 of the payroll for the foreseeable future in a guy who is guaranteed to decline? Especially at a non-premium position?

Administrator

Yes | No
    Yeah, you certainly don't want to give him a Kobe/Loyalty contract, IMO...tough situation

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by ono View Post
    Plus, he is fairly injury prone throughout his career.
    Not sure where you're getting the part about being injury prone. He's actually been very durable throughout his career, last year not withstanding.

Yes | No
    ^ Not recently, but he missed time in 2009 with his hip and 2010 with a broken hand. Plus wrist surgery after 2014.

I'll give you that he was durable in his prime years of 2011-14 but those are in the rear view mirror.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    I honestly don't think it's that we can't afford Gordon. I think it's a matter of if we want to afford him.

He is going to command 5 years, meaning he'd be 36 when the contract expires. So much of his game is predicated on his athleticism and some scouts say it has already begun to drop off. I think it's safe to expect his athleticism to reduce each year. Plus, he is fairly injury prone throughout his career.

Do we really want to tie up somewhere around 1/6 of the payroll for the foreseeable future in a guy who is guaranteed to decline? Especially at a non-premium position?

Here's what changed my mind. The window is open until 2017, you deal with 2018 and beyond when you get there. But I think you can make the argument the risk/reward of tying up your payroll towards the end of the deal is worth the shot at another 2 playoff runs.

Adm1n1str8t0r

Yes | No
    you're welcome

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by The42Yardstick View Post
    you're welcome

if only they knew. i want partial credit.

qwertyu123

Yes | No
    Firehouse now?

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Nah

qwertyu123

Yes | No
    now?

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Nah.

Yes | No
    FYI on the highlight videos. I got the full 8 game set plus highlight video for Christmas, and the highlight video is just terrible. I don't know shit about putting together a highlight video, but still could have done better than this. Not worth the money, but at least I have some of the full games on DVD, even though I will probably never watch them.

However, MLB Network has a two hour show on the World Series that has aired a couple of times, and it is phenomenal. Highly recommend setting the DVR on this one. It shows behind the scenes clips, uses clips and sound bites from about every broadcast that were doing the games, and is just extremely well done.

Supreme Leader

Yes | No
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawker007 View Post
    FYI on the highlight videos. I got the full 8 game set plus highlight video for Christmas, and the highlight video is just terrible. I don't know shit about putting together a highlight video, but still could have done better than this. Not worth the money, but at least I have some of the full games on DVD, even though I will probably never watch them.

However, MLB Network has a two hour show on the World Series that has aired a couple of times, and it is phenomenal. Highly recommend setting the DVR on this one. It shows behind the scenes clips, uses clips and sound bites from about every broadcast that were doing the games, and is just extremely well done.

And they probably won't sell it =(

Yes | No
    Gordon has signed a 4-year deal with the Royals.

To the Hall.

Yes | No
    Yep Yep! Gordo! I do think he took a hometown discount...

Administrator

Yes | No
    Gordon has signed a 4-year deal with the Royals.

To the Firehouse.
    FYP

Yes | No
    It looks like a good deal for both Gordon and the Royals. Gordon becomes the highest paid Royals in history but at 18mil a year it should not hamper the club ala Infante.